MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1270645906

From: Michael <>
Subject: [MAR] Merchant Navy help with records
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:23:19 +0000

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction in regard to a merchant
seaman and possible
information of crew on board ship

First I have received a document titled list or manifest of aliens
employed on the vessel as members of crew

On this there is a Daniel Riley and his nationality is shown as American
However I believe he was born in England
Daniel' position on board was shown as utility, (what is utility please)

The Ship was the West Cusseta arriving at San Francisco 17 Feb 1930 and
had come from Manila 22 Jan 1930

Now I have another document which is titled names and descriptions of
British passengers

The ship is the S.S ILE DE FRANCE Cunard White Star Line, port of
arrival Southampton and it states whence arrived Halifax
which I take to mean Halifax in Canada date of arrival 31 October 1945
(can someone confirm please)

At the top of the list of passengers it states British Merchant Navy ex
P.O.W all of the passengers were war prisoners that
had been interned in Japan

Daniel Riley was one of these passengers he was to be repatriated to an
address in Liverpool, his profession was shown
as seaman

Where can I find records in regard to Merchant seaman and the ships they
sailed on particularly the West Cusseta

I assume Kew for the Merchant seaman (are these easy to access for the
period mentioned and what information is likely to be found)

Regards

Michael

This thread: