MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1270655066

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] J. McMILLAN - H.MS. HIMALAYA 1873-1874
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:56:02 +0100

John

Would agree that he was a Blacksmith - see :

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Navy_List_1870/Pay.html

for rates of pay for ratings for 1870. Since he wasn't described as
Blacksmith's Crew or similarly abbreviated he would appear to have
been a full Blacksmith. which, from the scale of pay, would be the
equivalent of a Chief Petty Officer, but please note I am making
assumptions which could be wrong. There might not have been room to
put Blacksmith's Crew and might therefore have been younger than I
suggest below.

But whether these surmises are correct you would need to have a look
at his service record which you might be able to download from the
National Archives for GBP3.50 per record :

<http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/browse-refine.asp?CatID=15&searchType=browserefine&pagenumber=1&query=*&queryType=1>;

Assuming he was a Chief Petty Officer will probably mean that he was
over 30 when awarded the medal, but again this is a guess, but if this
was the case then you need to ignore his initial and insert his
surname and say the dates 1830-1845 which gives you a choice of
several J. McMILLANs, and you need to find the service record for the
man serving on board the HIMALAYA for the appropriate dates at a cost
of GBP3.50 each

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/18-1900/H/02282.html

i.e. you won't know whether he's serving on board the Himalaya until
you download he service record.

I would also note, hopefully not too discouragingly, that some list
members have had problems with some records for this period, in that
the full service record doesn't appear to be available, only details
of the man joining the service, but hopefully these are the exceptions
rather than the rule

Paul