MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1270897938

From: "Peter Beeston" <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Commander Helier
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:25:29 +1000

There is no Helier in the Navy Lists of December, 1853 or December, 1854.

The Battle of Balaclava was fought on 25th October, 1854. It was fought
inland and no ships were present but the port of Balaclava was a major
supply port for the British Army and the Navy had taken possession of it on
26th September. There was a Naval Brigade serving ashore during the Crimean
War but, as far as I am aware, not at the Battle of Balaclava.

Peter Beeston