MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271194665

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Commander Helier
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:53:50 +0100

Further to my last, and taking into account Peter's suggestion
regarding officers serving in the Merchant Service, and thinking back
a few weeks to an announcement that appeared in an English Language
newspaper, or a translation, in the Ukraine regarding the discovery of
fragments of plate &c. which had been discovered close to where the
Prince is thought to have sunk in bad weather during the Crimea War,
but the newspaper in question actually described the vessel as Her
Majesty's Ship Prince, whereas she was a civilian vessel hired as a
transport by the War Office and it got me to wondering if something
similar might have been going on with the Father and Son Helier,
particularly as I think someone mentioned that Balaclava was where
most of the stores were landed ?

BTW the Prince was reputed to be carrying all the cold weather
clothing that left the British Army in such dire straights during the
forthcoming Crimean winter. Rather than landing the stores the Prince
and other ships were being used as a stores so when the bad weather
struck and she, and I think some other vessels, sank, they took the
clothing and other badly needed stores to the bottom.

The other problem with using these steam ships as stores was that it
was an extremely expensive way of using the vessels and had the effect
of driving up the cost of hiring more modern steam ships to take goods
and materials out to the Black Sea, to merely sit off the Crimea
waiting to unload their stores. In fact I read the other day that the
French went to the East Coast of the US with a view to buying clippers
as a cheaper way of getting the stores where they were needed, but am
not sure if they ever closed the deal ?

Regards

Paul

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:53:00 +0100, Paul Benyon
<> wrote:

>Peter
>
>I wonder if this could be the Alfred Hellyer who I mentioned in an
>earlier part of this thread, who was in the RNR with the seniority as
>an Honorary Lieutenant of 1862, and what appears to have the
>seniority as a master of 6 June 1854 ?
>
>Paul
>
>On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:33:25 +0100, "Peter Kirsopp"
><> wrote:
>
>>A possible link between Hellyer, Jersey and Australia is the ship Coeur de Leon 846 tons launched 1867 by le Vacule Jersey for the Jersey Shipping Co, sailed from London for Australia, master A Hellyer.
>>Peter
50° 55' N, 2° 44' W
http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval.html

This thread: