MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271404063

From: Lynda Hirst <>
Subject: [MAR] Where now?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:05:23 +1200

Hiya Listers

I've been stumped for some time regards ancestor WILLIAM BROWN BARD who died
at sea aboard the "Rose Alice" in June 1881, and his father, also named
William Brown BARD.

Bear with me whilst I explain the story so far.

I have birth certificate for my grandfather, George BEARD, dob 1885 in
Betheseda St, Swansea, Glam.
His father is listed as being David BEARD [labourer], mother is Elizabeth
[Llewellyn] BEARD.

I have birth certificate for David BEARD, dob 1855, John St, Swansea.
His father is listed as William BEARD [mariner]; mother is listed as
Catherine [Jones] BEARD

I have marriage cert for David BEER to Elizabeth LLEWELLYN dated 1881,
Parish St John's Justa, Swansea
Father of groom is given as William BEER [sailor]
Witness at marriage is brother of groom, Thomas BEER and his fiance Sarah
LANGDON
Marriage certirficate annotated with 'x' mark for all bridal participants.

I have death certificate for David BEARD, dod 1899 [canal bargeman] at
Landore - annoated with 'x' mark of brother in law William LLEWELLYN.

I have marriage certificate for brother Thomas BEER [boatman] to Sarah
LANGDON dated 1882, Parish of Llansamlet, Glam.
Thomas is annotated with 'x' mark signature.
Father is noted as William BEER [sailor].

I'm quite happy that all the above is correct even with the switch from
BEARD to BEER but then it gets a bit mucky.

The only matching BMD for William BEER turned up a William Brown BEAR
[Sailor], dob 1851, John St, Swansea.
Mother is listed as Catherine [Jones] BEAR

Their 1845 marriage certificate lists their names as being William Brown
BARD, batchelor [Mariner] of the Strand, Swansea and
Catherine JONES of Fisher Street, Swansea.

William's father is noted on the marriage certificate as being the same
name - William Brown BARD and whose occupation is also given as a Mariner.

I discovered that William BEARD [master mariner] was aboard the "Rose Alice"
[O/N 57073 ] and the last port of call was noted on his death certificate as
being Londonderry - he died Jun 1881 and his death was registered July 1881
at Liverpool when the vessel ported there. [Thanks to Adi and other listers
for details about this vessel].

I found some records for William BEARD at TNA which I tried to order online
as per the indication that was a viable option, but my request was then
rejected as being unable to be fullfilled.

I found the "Rose Alice" crew agreement for the Jun 1881 voyage at MNU and
ordered that hoping it would give me further leads but darn me if all that
was on the crew agreement was more or less the info I had already gleaned
from his death certificate! The helpful archivist at MNU said that it
appeared the Master who took over upon William's death, simply didn't bother
to complete the form and that was a common occurence...

I have found all the census returns whcih match my wifes/kids up but the
major problem is that neither of the William Brown BARD's or the William
BEER are ever at home during any census so I have no idea if the men are
Swansea natives or where they came from as there's nothing to identify that.
Seeing as the sons alll married in Swansea area snd the census' place the
family members there consistenyl, I can only guess that the men all came
from this area too but that's pure speculation on my part.

I've trolled all over Bryan's Swansea mariner site and am a volunteer
transcriber with CLIP but simply can't find any mariners who fit in with my
BARD/BEER/BEARD names and don't know where to look next or even what to look
for now.

Any thoughts, suggestions, help would be awesome.....

Cheers
Lynda NZ

This thread: