MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271421214

From: Bud Shortridge <>
Subject: [MAR] New Article Post at Site: Manning the Ships
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:46:24 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings to the Lists,
During WW II, as most know, there was a huge undertaking of building merchant ships...better known as 'Liberty ships'.....of getting the much needed supplies from point 'A' to point 'B'....supporting war supplies to the troops....and to the people of the countries that was getting pounded on. Much of the written word has been published about the building of such vessels.....but what about the "crews" that manned these vessels?

So....I have posted on my site: http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/ a 'Archived Article' that I 'freshened up' a tad titled: MANNING THE SHIPS....Merchant Marines & The Armed Guard.

The article provides some insight into what it was like to be a crew member, who were these guys...how old was the average seaman....how did they get paid....did they belong to a union ...even during the war?????? Yep!, alot of questions?

And then entered the "U.S. Navy Armed Guard"....Oh my goodness, problems seemed to pop up....

No this article does not answer all the questions about these crews....but it does provide 'some' info that may give you a better understanding of what a Merchant Marine/Armed Guard relative went through on there voyages across the pond to deliver the 'goods' to the fighting forces...

In the meantime as your going through the thinking process of "Now just when am I going to find the time to read this??" I'm going to throw in a pan full of "sticky buns" in the ole oven...open the windows that face the 'widow lady' next door...hopefully I can get her to droll just a tad.....and see if I can entice her to come on over and share a cup of 'joe' and a 'Yummmmm bun'.... What the heck....what has an old man have to loose.

Hey...y'all have a delightful day....and don't forget to take time to 'stop and smell the roses'

I wish you well

Bud Shortridge
Nautical and Naval Articles of Interest:
http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/

Lost Merchant Liberty ship histories:
http://home.comcast.net/~cshortridge/site/
To contact:

I wish you well

Bud Shortridge
Nautical and Naval Articles of Interest:
http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/

Lost Merchant Liberty ship histories:
http://home.comcast.net/~cshortridge/site/
To contact: