MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271458285

From: "Jeff Coleman" <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Where now?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 00:09:23 +0100

I have written to Lynda off-list to suggest that William BEARD born in
Swansea in 1851, son of Catherine and William BEARD and brother of David and
Thomas BEARD, actually died in 1860 in an accident where he was run over by
a waggon.

The report of the inquest in the 'Cambrian' local newspaper in Swansea gave
his name as BEARD, but it appears likely that the death was registered as
BAIRD. This also ties in with his absence from the 1861 census.

If William BEARD, husband of Catherine and father of David and Thomas, was a
master mariner, a job requiring literacy, I am surprised that his sons were
not able to sign their names when they married in the 1880s.

There is a reference in the 'Cambrian' to a Captain BEARD and the
'MATAVILLA' on 4th November 1870 when he and the crew were accused of
refusal of duties. The vessel seems to have left Swansea on 10th October
that year.

Jeff