MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271490214

From: "Joe McMillan" <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Standard Ships W.W 1
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:32:02 +0930

Hi Ted,
Here it is.
WAR MASSET 2273gross tons wooden cargo ship built 1918 by Foundation Co.
Ltd.--Victoria ,British Columbia for The Shipping Controller[Easton,Greig &
Co. Mngrs.]--London
1919 renamed GALLACIER owned by Lloyd Royal Belge,Soc Anon--Antwerp
Foundered in the Atlantic,27 Feb. 1920 in position 36-22 N--07-08 W, on
voyage from Salonica & Oran to Antwerp with general cargo.

WAR NANOOSE 2227 gross tons wooden cargo steamer built 1918 by
Foundation Co. of British Columbia Ltd.--Victoria,British Columbia for
The Shipping Controller [Easton,Greig & Co. mngrs] --London
1919 renamed ROUMANIER owned by Lloyd Royal Belge Soc Anon--Antwerp
Burned 2 Jan. 1920 while discharging at Antwerp.Declared a Constructive
total loss, laid up, finally broken up at Hamburg 1923

WAR SKEENA 2342 gross tons wooden cargo steamer built 1918 by
Cameron Genoa Mills Ltd.--Victoria,British Columbia for
The Shipping Controller[Easton,Greig & Co. mngrs] --London
1919 renamed NIPPONIER owned by Lloyd Royal Belge,Soc Anon--Antwerp
Foundered after springing a leak 2 Jan, 1920 in the Bay of Biscay in
position 44-24 N--09-03 W on voyage from the Tyne to Algiers with coal.
[info obtained from Starke/Schell register 1918]
Hope this is what you are after.
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia [formerly