MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271569421

From: "Joe McMillan" <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] HMHS Euripedes
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:32:47 +0930

Hi Bruce,
I think the ship you are looking for is the following.
EURIPIDES 14947 gross tons Passenger and cargo steamer built 1914 by
Harland & Wolff--Belfast for George Thomson & Co Ltd. --Aberdeen
1932 became AKAROA of Shaw, Savill & Albion Co. Ltd.--Southampton and
eventually broken up at Antwerp ,Belgium in 1954.
A lot of these vessels were taken up as Hospital ships during WWI and were
designated with the prefix HMHS for His Majesty`s Hospital Ship.
I may have a photograph of the ship in my collection and if so i will send
you a scanned copy of it.
Hope this helps,
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan