MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271758056

From: "Piers Smith-Cresswell" <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Troop Transport Martello
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:27:59 +0100

I've had a trawl back through the same collection looking for "Halifax" from
June-end December 1757, to try to pick up any references to MARTILLA which
may have been missed by the search engine. I found nothing - but since
there seem to have been over 200 transports at Halifax at one point, few of
which were mentioned by name, it may not be surprising. Nor could I find
reports of the July convoy (if it existed) arriving at Halifax. However the
78th regiment weren't mentioned as being among the troops at Halifax with
the Holbourne convoy, so it is consistent with a later sailing.

One other newspaper from end March/early April 1758, apparently quoting the
Lloyds Evening Post report, mentions that the vessels returned from Virginia
(its not impossible that MARTLLA sailed from Halifax to Virginia before
proceeding home); another report possibly mis-spells the vessel as MARTILA
and the master as "Anst". There are a few references to MARTILLA after
March 1758, usually in connection with trading to Philadelphia. I also
searched "Cork" around June-July 1757 to try to pick up the convoy sailing,
but though I found references to regiments assembling there, I couldn't find
any reference to their sailing. The Press' main interest seems to have been
in Admiral Holbourne's convoy which sailed in early May with the majority of
the expedition.

"78th Regiment" didn't produce much either.

Hope this helps a bit....

Cheers
Piers