MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1271930712

From: "Kerrie" <>
Subject: [MAR] Foreign Ship and seaman
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:27:13 +1000

Hi

Could anyone advise whether it is worth looking at Kew for my seaman. He was George ROSS born Le Havre, France c1836. He married in NSW, Australia in April 1855. I have found him on a crew list of the ship "Commodore Perry" arriving in Sydney, NSW on 1 May 1856 where he is listed as a 25yr old seaman born in France. The ship left Liverpool on 17 Feb 1856.

I received the following information on the "Commodore Perry" from the National Maritime Museum in Sydney - "It was built by Donald McKay in Boston USA in 1854. The official number for the Commodore Perry was 10497; this number was located in the 1867 edition of The Mercantile Navy List; this vessel was not registered with Lloyd's register of British and foreign shipping, but there are entries on the American Lloyd's register between 1868 and 1872."

I think from the above that the ship was registered in the USA.

I have looked at some films through the LDS -
FILM 1483714

Register of seamen--series III, 1853-1857--class BT 116. Each register includes an index.

FILM 1502076

Register of seamen's tickets, 1845-1854 (BT 113) and alphabetical register of seamen's tickets, 1845-1854 (BT 114)

But I could not find him in these records although I did notice other men by the name of Ross who were foreign born. Would there be any crew papers at Kew for this voyage? Apparently the ship left Sydney and went to Bombay but I am pretty sure that George Ross stayed in Australia. I am willing to pay for a researcher to look at Kew if there is a chance that some records will be found on George Ross. I would really appreciate some advice.

Cheers

Kerrie

Australia

This thread: