MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-04 > 1272574245

From: "rubyred1" <>
Subject: [MAR] Marine Fireman
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:50:45 +0100

Hi guys, I am new to this list and need help in an area I know nothing about. My 2Xgreat grandfather was a marine fireman/stoker and on several censuses it is noted that he is a 'steamship' marine fireman. Can anyone help with obtaining information about him. His name was Hugh Hughes born in Toxteth Park, Liverpool in 1854. I assume this was his workbase also as his family remained in this area. I also think he joined the 'force' after 1881 but so far I can find no records about him. It seems a very common name so how do I go about finding the right relly.

Any help and/or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Syl - UK

This thread: