MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2017-07 > 1500393461

From: <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Searching a master mariner
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 16:57:41 +0100

Hi Vicki,

This doesn't really address your question but I would suggest looking at
the 1891 census again.

Minnie is living with Mary Thomas, widow, described as her aunt, but she
is also living with 4 other nieces and 1 nephew. So who are these people
and how do they relate to Minnie? One niece, Mabel Pearson, was also
born in Shanghai but her sister Ada was born in London. I think that
some of your questions might be answered by tracing the other residents.
Unfortunately Thomas is a common Welsh surname so it may not be easy to
trace Mary Thomas to find her maiden name and why she was giving a home
to so many youngsters. It could be that 'aunt' was a euphemism and it
was really a children's home but you will only find that out by digging
deeper.

On the Ancestry site there seem to be other people with Minnie on their
tree so you could try contacting them too.

Good luck,
Clare Pilkington