MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2017-07 > 1500417928

From: vicki evans <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Searching a master mariner
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:45:28 +0000

Hi

Thanks for your message.

I have managed to trace all the people on the 1891 census.

Ada and Mabel Pearson and Annie and Lillie Williams (Mis-transcribed as Tillie) are all half sisters. Their mother is Mary Thomas' sister, Annie. All 4 of these girls lived with their mother Annie (first marriage to Williams, widowed and then married Pearson) in Shanghai and we know from a diary that Minnie and these girls were friends in Shanghai. Elliot is Mary Thomas' nephew via her brother. Mary Thomas' maiden name is Rogers and I have traced the Rogers and all siblings (Barr one - Lowry Jones Rogers, b1844 ish I think off the top of my head) back to the 1700's.

I think Minnie being a niece on the 1891 census is a transcription error and has been assumed due to the others all being related. I think she is there as she has travelled to the UK with the Pearson/Williams family. She goes on to marry another of Mary Thomas' nephews Thomas Rogers Evans. If Minnie is a niece it would mean her and her husband Thomas Rogers Evans were first cousins. We know from a diary that there were marriages of this generation of the family to first and second cousins so I am sure this would have been mentioned as well, plus Minnie's only possible mother would have been Lowry Jones Rogers and I can't find any trace of a Lowry/Lowri/Laura Jones Rogers marrying an Andrew Nelson.

It is a real tangled web!

Thanks for your suggestions, it would be so good if I could find something like the 1891 census to help with Minnie!

Vicki