MARKEY-L Archives

Archiver > MARKEY > 2007-08 > 1188268139

Subject: [MARKEY] Markey lineage - New York, NY
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:28:59 -0000

Author: Acehero
Surnames: Wilson, Perkins, McGarry, Cannon, Gargan, Schanno, Daly, Fielding, Kirby
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.markey/154.2.1.3.1.1.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hello all you Markey decendants out there. I'm still searching for information for any on my line. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.

Here is my Markey-Gargan line.

MARKEY GENEALOGY

1) FRANCIS MARKEY, (Great-great-great-grandfather) b: 1784, native of Parish of Ennaskeen, Towns Land of Ervey, County Meade, Ireland, d: 24 Jan 1859, 75 yrs. married
1a) FANNY MARKEY, (Great-great-great-grandmother) b: 1785, (unknown surname) died: 23 Feb 1859, 74 yrs
(known to have had 5 children, 4 m & 1 f ), only three names known: John, Patrick & Isabella (Bella), unknown male x's 2

2) PATRICK MARKEY, (Great-great-grandfather) b: 1824, d.: 2 Feb 1888, 64 yrs. Naturalized Citizen of the United States dated 13 August 1855 in New York City. NYC census 1860 listed as a "Market Man" with 3 children & in 1870 as a "Produce Dealer", he owned his own home valued at $2000 with 7 children at that time married
2a) JULIA GARGAN MARKEY, (Great-great-grandmother) b: 1832, died: 15 Oct 1893, 61 yrs.; They had 12 children, 6 boys and 6 girls.
The boys were: George, John, Joseph, EDWARD, Frank & Charles
The girls were: Mary, Clarabelle (Carrie), Mary Jane, Juliette, Gertrude & Fanny
The 12 Children: George, John, Joseph, EDWARD, Frank, Charles, Mary, Clarabelle (Carrie), Mary Jane, Juliette, Gertrude & Fanny

3) George MARKEY, married
3a) Ann Marshall had 5 children - George, John, Edward, Walter & Fanny
4) George MARKEY married
4a) Louise CONNOR (10 children: George W., Jr., Ed., Mary, Janice, Marshall, Gerard, Eloise, John, Richard, & Keran)
5) George W. MARKEY Jr. married to Marian lived at 8503 Carroll Ave. Silver Springs, MD in 1962, in the Washington, DC area
5) Edward C. MARKEY married to Lillian living in Rye, NY in the 1960's
5) Mary MARKEY KUEPPER married to Dick KUEPPER living in California in the 1960's
5) Janice MARKEY SINNOTT married to Pete SINNOTT living in Larchmont, NY in the 1960's
5) Marshall J MARKEY living in Burlington, Iowa in the 1960's
5) Gerard MARKEY married to Audrey living in Cleveland Heights, Ohio in the 1960's
5) Eloise MARKEY KEATING married to William J. (Bill) KEATING, attorney living & practicing in New Haven, CT in the 1960's
(Address in April, 1962: 205 Church Street, New Haven, CT; Ph.: UN5-6106
5) John J MARKEY living in Scarsdale, NY in the 1960's
5) Richard A (Dick) MARKEY living in Greenwich, CT in the 1960's
5) Keran A MARKEY living in Guilford CT in the 1960's
4) John
4) Edward
4) Walter
4) Fanny

3) JOHN MARKEY married
3a) Etta (???) had 1 child - Fanny Crecilius
4) Fanny Crecilius MARKEY

3) JOSEPH MARKEY married
3a) Mary Levenson had 1 child noted that child died very young. No reference made if they had any other children or what happened to them.
4) Unnamed child - died young

3) EDWARD JOSEPH MARKEY, (Great-grandfather), (1869-1908),
married
3a) ALICE GERTRUDE CANNON, (Great-grandmother), d. 1940,
They had 5 children: Lawrence Aloysius, Rose Cecilia, MARY ANGELA, Edward Joseph, Jr., & Alice Gertrude
4) Lawrence Aloysius (d. 1959)
4) Rose Cecilia (d. 1945)
4) MARY ANGELA MARKEY, (Grandmother) (b. 1895 d.1970); born and lived entire life in Brooklyn, NY; married
4a) THOMAS F. WILSON, JR., (Grandfather) born in 1889 in CT (?) lived entire life in Brooklyn, NY; had one child: THOMAS F. WILSON III

5) THOMAS F. WILSON III (b. 3 Dec. 1923) grew up in Brooklyn, married 3/31/1951, Queens, NY; lived as an adult in Manhattan,
now lives in Florida, near Jacksonville
5a) LUCILLE ANN SCHANNO (b. 22 Nov 1928), in Hollis, Queens
3 children, LUCY ANN (b. 12 Feb 1952), ANN MARIE (b. 20 Feb 1953) & PATRICIA JOSETTE (b. 18 Mar 1954)
6) LUCY ANN WILSON married
6a) - 1) FRANCIS KUBOVSAK (div. 1973)
6a) - 2) ALAN CHERRY, 5/22/85 in Los Angeles, CA
6) ANN MARIE WILSON married 1975, St. Mary Church, Ridgefield, CT & divorced
6a) HENRY RANDOLPH WILSON, JR had 3 children, ANN MARIE WILSON, JOAN LUCY WILSON, &
HENRY RANDOLPH WILSON, III
7) ANN MARIE WILSON b. 4/14/1976
7) JOAN LUCY WILSON b. 6/21/1978, - married 6/30/2001
7a) BRYAN WATERS (m. 6/30/01) have have 2 children SEAN WATERS (d.o.b. 3/9/03) and ANDREW BRYAN WATERS (d.o.b. 12/28/06)
8) SEAN WATERS, d.o.b. 3/9/03
8) ANDREW BRYAN WATERS (d.o.b. 12/28/06)
7) HENRY RANDOLPH WILSON, III, b. 2/18/1981
6) PATRICIA JOSETTE WILSON b. 3/18/1954 married 6/1/1974, St. Mary Church, Ridgefield, CT
6a) DAVID JOSEPH PERKINS; b. 3/19/1954
3 children (sons), DAVID JOSEPH PERKINS, JR., THOMAS HENRY PERKINS,
& JAMES MICHAEL PERKINS
7) DAVID JOSEPH PERKINS, JR., b. 12/18/1974, Dover, NH, m. 2/13/1999
7a) ANN MARIE HUGHES, b. 4/9/1975, m. 2/13/1999, Mid Pines)
7) THOMAS HENRY PERKINS, b. 12/21/1983, Danbury, CT, "Twin A"
7) JAMES MICHAEL PERKINS, b. 12/21/1983, Danbury, CT, "Twin B"

4) Edward Joseph MARKEY, Jr. (b. 1903 d. 1965) m. Nettie Mae Tracy, had one child, Edward J. Markey, of Blue Hill, Maine
4) Alice Gertrude MARKEY (b. 1905 d. 1961) m. John J. CLEMENTS, had one child, Alice E. Clements
5) Alice Elizabeth CLEMENTS (b. , married, lives in Pittsburgh, PA
5a) Thomas McKENNA, had 3 children
6) Kevin McKENNA (b. , married
6a) Molly McGINLEY (b. ,

6) Christopher McKENNA (b. , married
6a) Sharon JOFFE (b. ,

6) Elizabeth McKENNA (b. , married
6a) Patrick BACHTELL, have two children
7) Liam BACHTELL, (b. ,
7) Claire BACHTELL, (b. ,

3) FRANK MARKEY Single, died at the age of 27.

3) CHARLES MARKEY, married,
3a) Kate Glennon had 3 children - May Gieise (2 girls), Margaret and Edward. Margaret and Edward are dead.
4) May Gieise
4) Margaret
4) Edward

3) MARY E. MARKEY BRADLEY TAUBNER, married
3a) Jim Bradley - 1 child - Francis W Bradley
3a) Rudolph Taubner
4) Francis W BRADLEY TAUBNER
Upon Mary's marriage to Taubner; child's name was changed to Francis Taubner. Francis died in 1946 at age of 60.

3) CLARABELLE (CARRIE) MARKEY DALY - (died 1921, age 57) married
3a) Michael Daly - 3 children - George W., Francis E., and Charles
4) George W. DALY married
4a) Anna Cato have 3 girls - Edna May, Mildred and Muriel (twins (all 3 married)
5) Edna May DALY
5) Mildred DALY
5) Muriel DALY
4) Francis E. DALY married
4a) Dorothy Hanley have 7 children - 5 boys and 3 girls. Francis, Robert, James, Ronald, Richard, Dorothy, Patricia 5) Francis (married as of 1960's)
5) Robert
5) James
5) Ronald
5) Richard
5) Dorothy (married as of 1960's)
5) Patricia (married as of 1960's)
4) Charles Daly died in infancy.

3) MARY JANE MARKEY died in infancy at the age of 1 or 1 years
3) JULIETTE MARKEY PARDON - born 1875, died 1952, age 76. married
3a) Arthur Pardon - died 1936; 3 children - Mildred, Harry and Juliette
4) Mildred Pardon married, lived at 149-05 79th Ave., Flushing, NY 10067 in April 1962
4a) George Dupree had 1 girl Rose M. (my grandmother's cousin, Mildred Pardon, who wrote up the sheet)
5) Rose M. Dupree
4) Harry Pardon died at the age of 6
4) Juliette Pardon married
4a) Charles Watkins had 3 children - Charles A., Virginia (married) and Juliette Markey
5) Charles A. Watkins
5) Virginia Watkins (married)
5) Juliette Markey Watkins

3) GERTRUDE R. MARKEY Single, born 1881, died 1931 at age 50 (lived with Arthur & Juliette Pardon as of the 1930 Census)

3) FANNY MARKEY married
3a) Larry Quinn; 3 children - Mary, Tom and Lawrence
4) Mary Quinn died at the age of 21 at the Convent of St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, Ohio
4) Tom Quinn died at the age of 17
4) Lawrence Quinn died at the age of 1 or 1 years

Gram's map from the NY Sunday News, for March 15, 1964, that was titled "Erin's First Families" had noted on it:
"Clark's & Corbett's - Grandmother Cannon's family from Tyrone.
Michael Cannon from Connaught.
Markey's from County Meade "Towns Land of Ervey"'

>From this we know that The Markey's are from: County Meath, The townland of Ervey, in the Civil Parish of Enniskean in the Barony of Lower Kells, Kells Poor Law Union.

We do not know the church parish that they were from which is where most of the records were probably kept during that time. They were Roman Catholic.

Although I'm not sure who the "Clark's & Corbett's" were, I presume they were Gram's grandmother Cannon's family names, her grandmothers' parents last names. They were from County Tyrone which is in the Province of Ulster. The County is now part of Northern Ireland. Ulster has nine counties -- six are part of Northern Ireland (now a separate country) and three are in the Republic of Ireland.

I'm not sure who "Michael Cannon" was but he was from Connaught. It's a province. Ireland is divided into four provinces - Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connaught. Connaught is made up of Counties Mayo, Sligo, Galway, Leitrim and Roscommon. Trying to find more about him will be very difficult because we know so little about him.

Francis & Fanny Markey (our Great-great-great-grandparents) are the parents of Patrick Markey.
Patrick Markey became a US citizen. I have a copy of his naturalization papers. I don't know if Francis & Fanny did.

In a nutshell: The Markey's are from: County Meath, The townland of Ervey, in the Civil Parish of Enniskean in the Barony of Lower Kells, Kells Poor Law Union.

We do not know the church parish that they were from which is where most of the records were probably kept during that time. They were Roman Catholic.

1) Francis & Fanny Markey had 5 children, one of whom was Patrick Markey
2) Patrick Markey married Julia Gargan had 12 children, one of whom was Edward Joseph Markey
3) Edward Joseph Markey married Alice Gertrude CANNON had 5 children
4) Mary Angela Markey married Thomas Francis Wilson, Jr. had one son, Thomas F. Wilson, III
4) Rose Cecilia Markey (died age 45 in 1945)
4) Lawrence Aloysius Markey (died in 1959)
4) Edward Joseph Markey, (died age 60), married Nettie Mae Tracy had one son Edward J. Markey lives in Blue Hill, Maine
4) Alice Gertrude Markey (died age 56) married John J. Clements had one daughter, Alice Elizabeth (Betsy) Clements McKenna

The Cannon's were Gram's mother's side of the family, (Alice Gertrude Cannon). Dad's 1st cousin's name was Betsy or Alice Elizabeth. Alice Gertrude Cannon was Betsy's and Dad's and Grandmother. Betsy and her mother, (Alice Gertrude MARKEY who married John J. Clements) are named after her.

I haven't started on the Cannon side at all. I should start posting messages on their message board since there were several siblings.

The CANNON side

These are all siblings, I don't know who their parents' are other than the notation that Gram made of a "Michael Cannon" on the old map of "Erin's First Families" from 1964 and the other notation of "Clark's and Corbett's" (see below).

Rose CANNON Maxwell

ALICE G. CANNON MARKEY (Dad's & Betsy's Grandmother)
Mary Angela Markey married Thomas Francis Wilson, Jr. had one son, Thomas F. Wilson, III (Dad)
Rose Cecilia Markey died at Age 45 in 1945
Lawrence Aloysius Markey died 1959
Edward Joseph Markey, (died age 60), married Nettie Mae Tracy had one son Edward J. Markey lives in Blue Hill, Maine
Alice Gertrude Markey (56) married John J. Clements had one daughter, Alice Elizabeth (Betsy) Clements McKenna

Francis CANNON

Elizabeth CANNON

Thomas CANNON married Annie and had three children
Rev. Thomas CANNON (Jesuit Priest, served in the Philippines)
Mary CANNON
(died in childbirth, twins survive)
Sister Margaret CANNON (Maryknoll Sister, deceased 2000 or 2001)

Important Note: