MARTIN-L Archives

Archiver > MARTIN > 2008-07 > 1217524248

Subject: Re: [MARTIN] Martin genealogyLewis Hiram Martin John MArtin SarahIsabella Martin
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:10:48 EDT

Linda,
I watch your posts and I think we have corresponded before, you are descended
from the Lewis Martin and Alice Bentley to John Martin and Philandia Couch
line through Archedamus Martin right?
I do have one correction for your Rootsweb sheet; we have finally identified
Lewis' Hiram Martins wife as Alice (Alys) Bentley daughter of Jeremiah Bentley
and I believe, Cathy Muck. I have quite a lot of information on the Bentley
family icluding Alice's Sister Sarah (Sally) Bentley Hammonds.
Both of these names appear in the family letters I have from the civil war
era. (I don't have the originals, just xerox copies.) One mentions John Martin
(husband of Philandia) during his civil war service with his brothers.
I know John Martin was a physician.
I am not sure which other information you would like. I have several
collateral lines now, and it is really getting too large to handle. If you could
specify which years or branches you are looking at, I will be glad to share
anything else that I have. I would also reccommend that you go to Jan Lowe's
excellent website edenmartin.com it has a bunch of information on this family.

I have included Jan Lowe on this email because I think she would be
interested in the following information. She is usually out ahead of me, and this may
all be old news to her, but I am hoping we can get some other researcher's
looking with us, for John and Sara Isabella Martin, our common brick wall.

Lately, I have been concentrating my search on Lewis Hiram Martin's parents,
John and Sarah Isabella Scott(?). Since I keep hitting a brick wall in the
frontal assault, I have decided to look at some collateral lines to see if I can
turn up some more clues.This is the newest rabbit trail I have been down.

In Monongalia Va 1769, there are only six families documented. (The land had
just been opened to settlement, previously settlers were restricted due to a
treaty with the indians.) Those six families are the familes of Charles Martin,
son of John Martin, Capt. David Scott b.1739. son of Alexander Scott, Dennis
Neville, and James and Phillip Pindall.

I have found a clutch of Martins descendended from John Martin, of Monongalia
Co Va, father of Charles Martin, intermarried with a family descended from
Alexander Scott (same county) that I believe are our likely suspects. Later, the
Popino (Popineaux), Cunningham, and Davis, families also intermarry with the
Martin and Scott families as do the above mentioned Nevilles.

John Martin had two sons, Jesse Martin and Charles Martin b.c.1735. Charles
Martin married 1) Elizabeth Burrows and 2) Mary Bell. I have all of these
children, but of especial note is Charles' son Jesse Martin b.1763 (Not to be
confused with Charles' brother.) Jesse Martin b.1763 married Hannah Scott daughter
of Capt.David Scott m. Judith Cunningham, son of Alexander Scott.They had a
daughter Ann (Nancy) Martin that married James Neeley Scott. They had a son
named Moses Rhoades Scott b.6/10/1840. The Scott family is intermaried with the
Roades family at another spot as well.

Now, pay attention it starts to get complicated here.

The above James Neeley Scott b.c 1820 is the son of David Scott and Rachel
Neeley who is the son of James Scott b.1742 and Elizabeth Osborne b.1745. James
Scott b. 1742 is the son of John Scott m Judith Davis (or Carpenter), eldest
brother of Capt. David Scott b.1739, both sons of Alexander Scott. John Scott
died and Capt.David Scott (his brother) raised John's two sons James and
Jacob. There appears to have been a third brother, Joseph Scott that was old enough
to be on his own. Capt. David Scott had other brothers, James, Benjamin,
Samuel, and Adonijah. Adonijah Scott had a daughter Sarah Scott b.1754-1766 that
I believe may be our Sarah Isabella Scott. There are several other Sarah
Scott's in this family but I have been able to rule all of them out except this
one, Capt.David' Scotts sister, Sarah married Jonathan Arnold. Capt.David Scott
also had sister's Rachel and Phebe. Capt. David Scott had two daughters Phoebe
and Fannie that were killed by indians in a very well documented indian raid.
Capt. David Scott also had a daughter named Sara Scott b.1774 but she married
a man named Stephen Gapen.

It gets even more complicated
.
James Neeley Scott b.1820 son of David Scott (NOT Capt David Scott), but son
of James Scott, nephew of Capt. David Scott has a sister named Jemima Scott
b.1795. She marries Joseph Neeley b.1789, brother of James Neeley Scott's wife
Rachel Neely. The parents of Rachel and Joseph Neeley are James Neeley and
Elizabeth Gholson. They have other children, Samuel, John, and Jane, Neeley.
Jane Neeley marries Enoch Scott brother of Jemima and James Neeley Scott.

O.K. to re-cap, we have three brothers marrying three sisters, they are the
children of David Scott, son of James Scott, nephew of Cap David Scott and
natural son of John Scott, son of Alexander Scott.

Jemima Scott to Joseph Neeley
James Neeley Scott to Rachel Neeley
Enoch Scott to Jane Neeley

Obiously, we have some serious Neeley and Scott intermarriage here. (Because
they are neighbors in a very small community, there aren't too many choices).
There are also some intermarriages between the Scotts and the Clemens
(Clements) family, and as you know, Jan, the Clements AND the Neeleys are intermarried
with our family by way of James Scott Martin brother of our Lewis Hiram
Martin and Jane Martin daughter of Jane Euphamia Martin Neeley the sister of Lewis
Hiram Martin.
I am just certain that these are our people, and that this is the location of
our ancestors prior to their move to Kentucky. Most of the above generation
served in the revolutionary war and would have qualified for land grants in
Kentucky in return for their war service. I just can't believe that this much
coincidence in names is possible without some connection.
Now, if we could just connect Charles Neeley, husband of Jane Euphemia Martin
or to James Neeley and Elizabeth Gholson to the above Neeley's we would be
home free. Or almost. I don't know if we will ever connect this Sarah Scott b.
1754-1766 to our Sarah Isabella Scott, as there seem to be very few records of
Adonijah Scott and even fewer of his daughter Sarah. but it seems that there
is certainly more evidence now than before. Of course, this still doesn't
identify our John Martin. Perhaps, we can find a John Martin in Charles' family
that will match up. Apparently, these people settled near Morgantown and there
was not a courthouse. The records of land purchase and court proceedings were
kept in an out-building at one of the settlers homes. It burned, destroying
more than three years of critical records for us.
Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any other evidence that I am
missing.
As always corrections are more than welcome.

Maggie Burrows

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
FanHouse Fantasy Football today.