MATHIS-L Archives

Archiver > MATHIS > 2002-09 > 1030930431

Subject: Re: [MATHIS-L] Mathis/Mathews .....Jonah
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 21:33:51 EDT

You are welcome to answer my request. My Grandfather was Jonah
Mathis/ews
b 1836..d 1912. He lived in New Hanover County in the Harrells/Newton Cross
Rd /Taylor's Bridge area. That area is now Sampson Co... NC. Very near the
Duplin Co. lines.
His Brothers were Isaiah Mathis and David Mathis. All three married into
the Peterson Family at Buckhorn, Newtons Cross Rd. After the C. War Jonah
married Mary Matilda Rich in 1866 from The Taylors Bridge area. Catherine
Peterson had died during the war. Mary Matilda Rich' Parents were Richard Rich
and Charlotte MATHEWS Rich. Also searching for CHARLOTTE MATHEWS'
Parents.
I have info on Jonah from 1859 until his death. I have been unable to
find out who his PARENTS were. I have tried to sneak up on him through his
Brothers lines, His C. War Papers, the Peterson Family and the Rich Family.
I have been told by many that he descends from the Edmund Mathis
Family at Taylors Bridge, Near Clinton, NC. I have been unable to prove
this. Mostly because I am unable to trace all the lines from Edmund Mathis.
I have become very disheartened about this as I have searched so long with no
proof.
I am particularly iterested in the JOHN MATHIS /RUTH BELL MATHIS
Family..Son of Edmund Mathis.
To answer your Question.....There were a lot of Wells in Duplin County.
It
had many strawberry farms. I have no info on any of them. There was a
Lon Powers Farm in Duplin Co. I understand that after the C war he gave
Families a place to stay and helped them get back on their Feet so to speak.
He was a very well respected Man. I understand that he has no living
descendants. I have been told that he had only 2 daughters and they
never married
This Farm was out from Wallace, NC. Near Willard, NC.
The rd is now named Lon Powers Road.
None of your names are in the info that I have so far.
Love to hear from anyone with any info. Thanks..Aleine Mathis Hill

This thread: