MATLOCK-L Archives

Archiver > MATLOCK > 2004-03 > 1078847860

From: "Joe Matlock" <>
Subject: Re: [MATLOCK-L] Charity Choate Matlock
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:57:40 -0600

Another question I have is who was the John Choate who signed his will
in
1834 Dickson Co? Luke was named as a witness...
I can help you some with this John. Luke is there as I believe John
Choate's daughter is the Eleanor that Luke Jr marries.
Joe Matlock

Descendants of John Choate

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN7 CHOATE (SQUIRE THOMAS6,) was born Abt. 1775 in Lunenburg,
Pittsylvania County, Virginia, and died Abt. 1835 in Dickson County,
Tennessee. He married ELINOR NELLIE RENFRO Bet. 1796 - 1800 in Dickson
County, Tennessee. She was born 1775, and died 1845 in Dickson County,
Tennessee.

Notes for JOHN CHOATE:
Excerpts from "Dickson County, TN Handbook" Shawn Martin - May 5, 2001
Page 60, John Choate Willl - Page 114, No. 65, "My beloved wife Eleanor
Choate...son John H. Choate...all of my children...sons Peter Choate and
Squire J. Choate...my old plantation and old tract...east section has a
cave spring.
Signed 19 August 1834, John (x) Choate, Proved January 1835
Witnesses, William S. Coleman, Luke Matlock, John H. Choate" (JWM this
is most likely the Luke Matlock who married Charity Choate as John's son
James married Luke's daughter Nancy)

Ancestors of Robert L. and Donna D. Jackson
Entries: 9458 Updated: Thu Jan 1 10:01:03 2004 Contact: Robert L.
Jackson
ID: I7906
Name: John CHOATE
Sex: M
Birth: ABT 1769 in Virginia
Death: 1834 in Tennessee
Burial: 1834 Tennessee
Note: CHOATE, John-- Died in 1834 leaving a will naming Elenor
CHOATEasexecutrix. On 22 October 1845 Joseph CHOATE petitioned for
division of the slaves. Elenor CHOATE has now died. Other petitioners
are Jeremiah Smith, Nelly Ann Smith, James Smith,Edward Smith and Mary
Ann Smith who are minors and JamesChoate is appointed their guardian.
(Dic TN, Cir Ct Min. AA/no#) Another petition was made in Febuary 1848
by Joseph Choate, JamesChoate, Peter Light and his wife Prudence
formerly Choate, Luke Matlock and his wife Elly, formerly Choate, S. J.
Choat who petitions for the benefit of Joel Hardin who purchased his
share, and Thomas Smith, Jeremiah Smith, Nelly Ann Smith, James Smith,
Edward Smith,and Mary Ann Smith, children of Ailsy Smith, deceased. John
Choate was the father of the petitioners and died about 1834 leaving a
will. Ailsy Smith was a daughter of Jon Choate. She and her husband
Edward, are both dead. All of their children except Thomas are Minors.
(IBID B/195)

Children of JOHN CHOATE and ELINOR RENFRO are:
i. AILCY8 CHOATE, m. JAMES SMITH.
ii. JOHN H. CHOATE.
iii. PRUDENCE CHOATE, m. PETER LIGHT.

Notes for PETER LIGHT:
This couple are first cousins.

iv. THOMAS CHOATE.
v. JOSEPH CHOATE, b. 1790, Tennessee.; d. Dickson County, Tennessee;
m. PATIENCE LIGHT; b. 1798, Tennessee.; d. Dickson County, Tennessee.
This couple is buried in the CHOATE Cemetery on Yellow Creek in Dickson
County..

Notes for JOSEPH CHOATE:
This couple are first cousins.
Excerpts from "Dickson County, TN Handbook" Shawn Martin - May 5, 2001
Page 86, George Light, Pages 211-212, Inventory and account of sale of
George Light, deceased on 29 July 183_. Buyers: George Tilly, Jas.
Choat, Z. Drummond, Richard Coke, Simon Deloach, George Kelly, J. A.
Bowen, Joseph Choat, Luke Matlock, Hartwell Weaver, B. G. Ragan, H. J.
Shropshire, Peter Cooke, Thomas Hudson, John A. Bullock, Peter Light,
William Willyk, Jas. Cook, J. R. Drake, Louis Ticer, Thomas McClellan,
John Shropshire. Jos. (or Jas.) Choat, administrator.

Dickson County, TN Deed Book K, Jun 1854 - Feb 1858
page 136: Grant #23733; granted to Joseph Choate 332 3/4 acres and
dated 20 Jan 1855 in dist. 6 on waters of Jones creek by Gov. Andrew
Johnson; recorded in grant book 8 page 630 at office in Nashville, 12
Feb 1855 signed Moses M. Swan, reg. Middle Tennessee

Notes for PATIENCE LIGHT:
Dickson County TN Deed Book J, Nov 1830 - Jun 1854 page 84: Joseph
Choate and Patience Choate sell 53 acres in dist. 6 to
Lucretia Halliburton for $112.00. Same tract Drury Christian (?),
Sheriff, conveyed to Saml Nesbitt (sic) and by said Nesbitt assigned
over to George Light which assignment was informal but which land was by
division of the land of the estate of said Light, dec'd, allotted to
Patience Choate, daughter of said Light. Wit. David Gray and Thomas
Flanary 25 Dec 1854
(note-Patience signed with her mark)

vi. JAMES CHOATE, b. 1801, Dickson County, Tennessee.; m. NANCY
MATLOCK; b. 1810, Tennessee.; d. Bef. 1860.
vii. ELEANOR ELLIE CHOATE, b. 1810, Tennessee; m. LUKE MATLOCK, Bef.
1829; b. 1806, Tennessee.

Notes for ELEANOR ELLIE CHOATE:
In 1850 Jemima is living in Dickson County, Tennessee with her children
E. D. and Absalom.

Notes for LUKE MATLOCK:
In 1850 this family is living in Humphreys County, Tennessee. His
father Luke is also with them.
In 1860 this family is living in Humphreys County, Tennessee. Luke
senior is not shown. His wife's name is listed as "Ellen". He is
listed as a farmer.
Luke is back. In 1870 this family is living in Humphreys County,
Tennessee.

viii. PETER CHOATE, b. 1813, Dickson County, Tennessee; m. (2)
ELIZABETH CHOATE, Aft. 10 October 1835, Dickson County, Tennessee; b.
1815.

Notes for PETER CHOATE:
Excerpts from "Dickson County, TN Handbook" Shawn Martin - May 5, 2001
"Peter Choate to Elizabeth Choate, marriage bond dated 10 Oct 1835 by S.
J. Choate, bondsman"

ix. SQUIRE T. JACKSON CHOATE, b. 20 January 1815; d. 07 February 1883,
Dickson County, Tennessee; m. ORLEANA PARALEE SANDERS, 04 December 1837,
Dickson County, Tennessee; b. 1821, Dickson County, Tennessee; d. 1878.

Notes for SQUIRE T. JACKSON CHOATE:
Excerpts from "Dickson County, TN Handbook" Shawn Martin - May 5, 2001

Page 68, John Sander Will, Page 201, No 114, "To Squire J. Choate,
Samuel W. Sanders, Marshall Larkins, and James McCollum, my negroes and
land where James McCollum now lives...wife Susan...the raising of the
minor children." Signed 26 November 1848, John (X) Sanders, Proved
January 1849, Recorded February 1849, Witnesses, W. S. Coleman, D. C.
Chamberlain"

Dickson County, TN Deed Book K, Jun 1854 - Feb 1858 page 356: Samuel W.
Saunders to S.J. Choate for $800.00, tracts in dist. 6 on
waters of Sulphur Creek. containing 150 acres in all. 1st tract-130
acres. 2nd tract-6 acres. 3rd tract- 16 acres. 6 Oct 1856
wit. John
Eubank and Thos. C. Morris

Dickson County, TN Deed Book K, Jun 1854 - Feb 1858 page 357: S. J.
Choate to Samuel W. Saunders for $850.00, a negro girl named
Malinda about 17 yrs old. 6 Oct 1856 wit. Tho.C. Morris and
John Eubank

Dickson County, TN Deed Book K, Jun 1854 - Feb 1858 page 415: Squire J.
Choate to William Saunders, Jr. for $350.00, a tract in
dist.6 containing 50 acres 23 Sept 1856 no witnesses

>>> <> 3/8/2004 10:36:17 AM >>>

Jane, I hope you get this Email, before you go off line... In going
over your
information I see that you are referring to the Sooters as being
realitives
of Charity... There is so much on confusion with the Sooters as
Matlocks..

"The King's Point Cemetery records in Dade Co. Mo. say that Benjamin's
wife
was Charity Choate. As I noted above she is there with her family
marrying
Sooters, Simpsons, with her grand nieces/nephews of her sibling Gabriel
& Betsy
Simmons"

I have been led to believe that the Sooters Connection to the Matlock
family
was from Lukes daughter ... Anna Who (And yes with no proof) that a
Anna
Matlock married William Sooter, but since Luke is living with them in
1860 thought
she was a dau...

1860 SOOTER WILLIAM R Barry County MO 901 Shoal Creek
Wm. R. Sooter 57 MW TN Farmer
Anna 57 FW TN Domestic
Monro J. 16 MW MO Farmer
B. F. Sooter 21 MW TN
Mary 1 FW MO
Luke Matlock 94 MW VA Family a farmer
Jemima 47 FW TN Domestic
Abslum 14 MW TN
Elisha Sooter 27 MW MO Farm labor

I also see that Martha Matlock Dau of Benjamin and Charity also married

Milton Sooter..Theres a connection to the Sooters for sure, but am not
so sure it
is coming from Charitys side of the family.....

Another question I have is who was the John Choate who signed his will
in
1834 Dickson Co? Luke was named as a witness...

Excerpts from "Dickson County, TN Handbook" Page 60, John Choate Will
- Page
114, No. 65, "My beloved wife Eleanor Choate...son John H. Choate...all
of my
children...sons Peter Choate and Squire J. Choate...my old plantation
and old
tract...east section has a cave spring. Signed 19 August 1834, John (x)

Choate, Proved January 1835 Witnesses, William S. Coleman, Luke
Matlock, John H.
Choate

Its a fact that the Matlocks and the Choates go hand in hand thats for

sure... but I dont think we can actually say that Benjamins wife
Charity was a
Choate any more than we can say the Lukes wife was.. Could Charity have
been a
Sooter?Is it possible that if Benjamin did Marry a Choate, that she
could of been
a niece to Charity Who is said to have married Luke? I went to the
websitehttp://www.rootsweb.com/~modade/kings_pt_cem.htm and seen no
hint there that
Charity was or wasnt a Choate..

Now I must note that the Sooter Researchers have William Sooter married
to a
Anna Fly... This William Sooter is said to be the son of William
Greenberry
Sooter, Jr. (d 11/15/1824) in Christmasville, Carroll Co.,
Tennessee...married
Elizabeth Brown (abt 1775)
So what connection is there to the Fly..Sooters and Luke?

1860 SOOTER WILLIAM R Barry County MO 901 Shoal Creek
Wm. R. Sooter 57 MW TN Farmer
Anna 57 FW TN Domestic
Monro J. 16 MW MO Farmer
B. F. Sooter 21 MW TN
Mary 1 FW MO
Luke Matlock 94 MW VA Family a farmer
Jemima 47 FW TN Domestic
Abslum 14 MW TN
Elisha Sooter 27 MW MO Farm labor

And to Really throw a wrench in to the story.. Sooter researchers have

Martha Elizabeth Matlock b 4/10/1843 married to Edward Marion Sooter
(11/25/1834- 6/26/1908) Martha's parents were Moore Matlock and
Racheal
Daugherty..... But yet I have this Martha as daughter of Benjamin..

Brenda