MAYFIELD-L Archives

Archiver > MAYFIELD > 2004-03 > 1079727538

From: Cindy Stamps <>
Subject: Re: [MAYFIELD] Republic of Texas 1840
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:18:58 -0600

Patti,
Even though this is considered to be a "census", it really is just a listing of
land grants with only the grantee's name listed, county, date of arrival in TX,
what type of grant, and date final grant made. It's the only census we have. Not
all entries have data for all these. I don't know about Sabine. I know where the
Sabine River is. I posted all the Mayfield entries that were listed. It is rare
to find a female in there; she has to be a "femme sole". The largest grants were
for those who were here before independence was declared. William Mayfield
received 1280 acres, arriving in TX in spring 1837. His grant in Washington Co.
was a Class 2 grant, which required 3 years of responsible citizenship, which
would lead to an unconditional grant and patent. In the meantime, he could not
sell the land. James Mayfield arrived in Texas in fall, 1840; he received 320 A.
in Nacogdoches Co.; this amount usually indicated the man was single; married men
recieved 640 A. James S. Mayfield arrived in Nacogdoches Co. before Oct 1837 and
received 1280 A. The 1280 A. grants were given to the earlier arrivals.
Ok, I found Sabine. It's down on the coast at Sabine Pass in the Beaumont/Port
Arthur area. The Sabine River runs down the east side of TX and borders LA. I'm
afraid this didn't really answer your questions, but that's all I can get out of
the book.

Cindy