MAYFLOWER-L Archives

Archiver > MAYFLOWER > 2008-02 > 1203823526

From: Randy & Nancy Robinson <>
Subject: Re: [MFLR] Thomas WESTON mrd Prudence CONANT, 04 May 1730, Plymouth
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:25:26 -0600

At 05:10 AM 2/21/2008, you wrote:
>Thomas WESTON married Prudence CONANT, 04 May 1730, in Plymouth. Prudence was born 3 Mar 1706/1707 in Middleborough, the daughter of Josiah CONANT and Elizabeth WASBURN. Prudence is a MAYFLOWER descendant from the Francis COOKE line.
>
>What I do NOT know is the pedigree of Thomas WESTON.

Bill, I think the short answer is neither does anyone else know the pedigree of Thomas Weston.

July 1887, "The Descendants of Edmund Weston of Duxbury, Mass., For Five Generations," by Thomas Weston Jr., The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (Vol. 41 285-296)

On pg 285: "The family of Westons were numerous in England at the beginning of the seventeenth century, and many of them emigrated early to America. Hotten, in his list of emigrants in the year 1635, gives no less than twelve of this name who emigrated to Virginia. Those who came to New England were Thomas Weston, the London merchant, who was probably a brother of Sir Richard Weston, Earl of Portland. Frequent mention is made of him in the early history of Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay archives. It is doubtful, however, whether he left any descendants in the country. Francis Weston was with Roger Williams, but he had no children. John Weston came to Salem in 1664, a lad of thirteen years, who secreted himself on board the vessel and was not discovered until it was too far at sea to return. His descendants are very numerous in New England."

On pg 293, "William4 (Benjamin3, Edmund2, Edmund1) Weston, born May 23, 1725. Married daughter of Thomas Weston, of Boston."

MD 3:194-195 - "The Deposition of Richard Moore Senr. aged seaventy yeares or thereabouts. Sworn saith that being in London att the House of Mr. Thomas Weston Ironmonger in the year 1620 He was from thence transported to New Plymouth in New England and about two yeares and a half after the said deponts. arrivall at Plymoth. aforesaid the above mentioned Thomas Weston sent over a ship upon his prper accompt with passengers to settle in the Massachusetts Bay now called Braintree but soon after they deserted the same by reason of Indians & Sicknesse And within a short space of time after the above said Weston personally came over from London to Plymouth in New England and made his aboad there some time and traded from thence to Virginia and Maryland And att that time the said deponent knew that the said Thomas Weston had and was possessed of two plantations the one in Yorke River in Virginia att a place called Cheesecake, the other in Maryland att West St. Maryes by Storyes Island and heretofore were comonly known to be in the tenure & occupation of these persons here under express vizt. Mr. Wilkinson, Mr. Dent mercht. &c. and they all acknowledged the said Weston to be the true proprietor and lawfull owner of the said plantations And further that the said deponent knew Elizabeth Weston now Elizabeth Connant of Marblehead to be the reputed and only child of the said Thomas Weston."

Interesting that there was a Thomas Weston and Connant connection earlier in Plymouth. However, Anderson in his Great Migration Begins sketch on Thomas Weston only shows one child born to this Thomas Weston citing the above mentioned deposition.

1899, Ancient Landmarks of Plymouth, Vol 2, William T. Davis, pg 281 (Weston) - "Thomas, perhaps a son of Elnathan, m., 1723, Mary Howland, and had Thomas, 1725, m. a wife Isabel, and lived in Boston. He m., 2d Prudence, d. of Josiah Conant, 1730 and had Mary, m, William Weston; Sarah, m. a Ball."

March 1983, "The Descendants of Edmund Weston, Revisited", by Eugene A. Stratton, National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol 71, 41 - 63.

On pg 43, the family of Elnathan2 (Edmund1): "In his will dated 19 April 1728 and proved 14 June 1729, he mentioned his wife, though not by name; his sons Samuel and Joseph; and his daughters Mary, wife of Joseph Simmons; Sarah, wife of John Chandler; and Abigail."

On pg 52, William Weston, son of Benjamin3 (Edmund2, Edmund1) Weston and his 2nd wife Hannah Coomer, was "b. 14 May 1732; m. Mary Weston 'of Plymouth,' daughter of Thomas Weston and his 2nd wife Prudence (Conant) Weston6 (Elisabeth Washburn5, Thomas4, Elizabeth Mitchell3, Jane Cooke, Francis). There is no reason to believe that there was any close blood connection between these two Weston families. (source 115)"

On pg 61, source 115 "Davis 2:281, calls Mary the daughter of Thomas Weston. On the same page he states that a Thomas, perhaps the son of Elnathan, mar. 1st, 1723, Mary Howland and had Thomas b. 1725, and mar. 2nd Prudence, daughter of Josiah Conant, and had Sarah, and Mary who mar. William Weston. The only Elnathan Westons in contemporary records are Elnathan2 (Edmund1), whose will did not show a son Thomas, and Elnathan4 (Samuel3, Elnathan2, Edmund1), who was not even born when this Thomas was getting married. It is more likely that Thomas, Mary Weston's father, was a different Weston family."

Stratton then cites other problems with Davis' 2:281 and NEHGR 41:285-296. Source 115 on pg 61 continues: "The Weston authors thought Thomas might have come from Boston. Thomas Weston mar. Prudence Conant, both of Plymouth, 4 May 1730 (MD 14:73). In 1743 Prudence Weston was administratrix of the will of Thomas Weston (Plymouth County Probate Records, 9:74, 100; 13:442). In March 1745/6 Prudence Weston, then a widow, was fined L4 for fornication, and the fine was paid by Micha Bume (Plym. Co. Ct. Recs., 2:238). Sarah was born to Prudence Weston 12 Jan 1746/7 (MD 15:211). Mary's date of birth is not in the records."

Mayflower Descendent

MD 14:40 - Plymouth MA VR - Thomas Weston to Mary Howland April 19 : 1723

MD 14:73 - Plymouth MA VR - Thomas Westron & Prudence Conant both of Plymouth were married May 4th 1730

MD 15:211 - Plymouth MA VR - Sarah Weston Daughter of Prudence Weston born January 12 . 1746/7

In the VR for Thomas's first marriage to Mary Howland, it did not call him of Plymouth nor of Boston. Mary was born in Plymouth and her father Nathaniel was born and died in Plymouth. Seven years later Thomas is called of Plymouth.

2006, Mayflower Families Vol 23, Compiled by Ann Smith Lainhart and Robert S. Wakefield, pg. 163 Mary4 Howland (Nathaniel3, Joseph2, John1): "She married at Plymouth 19 April 1723 Thomas Weston who died before 19 May 1743, perhaps a son of Elnathan Weston."

"Child of Thomas and Mary (Howland) Weston, b. Plymouth:
Thomas Weston5 b. 2 March 1724/5; d. 23 June 1725; m. Isabella Campbell."

Despite Stratton and others pointing out that Thomas is not mentioned in Elnathan's will, the 2006 MF 23 still cites the 1899 statement by Davis. Interesting that even though Thomas5 died 23 June 1725 at the age of 3 months, he still had time to marry Isabella Campbell. Perhaps it was an arranged marriage.

This thread: