MCCULLER-L Archives

Archiver > MCCULLER > 2010-12 > 1293039563

From: ,
Subject: Re: [MCCULLER] Benjamin McCullar & Susanna Pace - GA to AR
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:39:23 -0000

Author: cullark
Surnames: McCullar
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.mcculler/18.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Interesting information, Hank.
I've researched this line for several years, but haven't yet found convincing evidence that Benjamin was the son of Thomas McCullar and Penelope Flowers. Have you found any?
Benjamin was my 3rd great grandfather.
Penelope Flowers could not have been the daughter of William Pace (Father of Ben's wife Susannah)
The marriage record for Benjamin and Susannah would likely be found in Alabama (Clarke Co. - home of her father, William Pace)
Benjamin is listed in the census for Wilkinson County GA in 1820, with name spelled McColor.
-Also listed are John and William (age 27 - 44) as well as Thomas (age > 45)
-Benjamin, John and William are likely the sons of Thomas
Wilkinson Co. GA 1820, Census Roll 9, Book 1,
Benjamin McColorp.291
Thomas McColorp.291
William McColorp.293
John McColorp.293

Our cousin, Kim Zapalac did find record of Benjamin's application for Bounty Land on the basis of his service in the War of 1812.
Success! I found Benjamin's McCullar's application for that Bounty Land (No. 83646) It looks like there are two of them.
1. [First Application?]
State of Arkansas
County of Union
On this the eighth day of November AD 1850 personally appeared before me a Justice of the Peace within and for the county and state afore said Benjamin McCullar aged fifty-nine years a resident of Union County State of Arkansas who being duly sworn according to laws declares that he is the identical Benjamin McCullar who was a private in the Company commanded by Captain Lewis Lee afterwards commanded by Captain Isaac Hall in the Georgia Regiment of Drafted men commanded by Colonel Ezekiel Wimberly in the war with Great Britain declared by the United States June 18th AD 1812. that he enlisted at Irwinton Georgia on or about the 25th day of October AD 1814 for the term of six months and continued in actual service in said war for the term of four months and twelve days and was honorably discharged at Darien Georgia on or about the first of March AD 1815 (which certificate of discharge is lost in mail and so or not to be proved for the purposes herein intended) [He must of got!
ten it back because they did get it later. It was in the files. I got a copy of it too.] all of which will appear by the muster rolls of said company He makes this declaration for the purpose of obtaining the bounty land to which he may be entitled under this act granting bounty land to certain officers and soldiers who have been engaged in the military service of the United States passed September 28th 1850
Benjamin McCullar [signature]

You present more information than I've seen previously about the children of Benjamin and Susanna, so I'm very interested to learn about your sources. Their son Jesse James Benjamin was my 2nd Great Grandfather (I denote him JJB1, because there were 3 following). JJB2 was my Great Grandfather, and he is buried here in Denton, TX, where I work.
Hope you have a Merry Christmas,
Kelly McCullar

Important Note: