MCKEE-L Archives

Archiver > MCKEE > 2010-08 > 1281047139

From: ,
Subject: Re: [MCKEE] Information on Francis Marion Mckee
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 22:25:39 -0000

Author: tpd619501
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.mckee/2575.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Carolyn
I am not related to this family. I researched them while trying to find a connection to my John McKee, born in Pennsylvania in 1795 and in Dearborn county Indiana by 1830`s and died after 1850. We have researched several McKee families in Dearborn Franklin Ripley counties of Indiana and Hamilton and Butler counties in Ohio without much luck, but in the process have gathered a lot of information. I`ve had contact with people researching other children of Samuel and Rachel Davidson McKee, but no one descended from Alexander. Its nice to give the information I have to someone who can use it.
I don`t have any information on Alexander`s children after 1850 except the census records for Francis and Cynthia in 1860 and 1870 and Alexander in 1860 next to Francis.
Nance as the name for Alexander`s wife comes from the following land deeds in Franklin county Indiana:

This indenture made and entered into this sixth day of October eighteen hundred and nineteen between Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee of the state of Ohio on the one part and Allen Ramsey of the county of Franklin State of Indiana of the other part whereas the said parties of the first part are indebted to the said Allen Ramsey in two several notes of hand one bearing date on the eleventh day of February last preceding the date hereof and being for eight hundred & ninety four dollars & fifty cents payable three years after the date of the said note the then bearing date on the eleventh day of October in the year aforesaid and given for five hundred & thirty dollars and payable two years after the date of the said last mentioned note. And being desirous to guarantee and secure to the said Allen Ramsey the said several sums of money at the times above specified.have in consideration thereof and also for the sum of one dollar to them in hand paid by the said Allen Ramsey at !
and before the signing and sealing of these presents grant bargain & sell unto the said Allen Ramsey his heirs & assigns all that certain tract or parcel of land situated lying and being in the county of Franklin state of Indiana and more particularly described in a certain patent known and designated by its being the southeast quarter of section fourteen of township eight range two west of the meridian of the lands directed to be sold at Cincinnati by an act of congress which is more particularly described in a certain patent executed to the said Ramsey for the same. To have and to hold the said tract or parcel of land together with all and singular the rights members and appurtenances thereunto belonging or in any way appertaining unto the said Allen Ramsay his heirs and assigns forever and the said Alexander and Samuel C McKee for themselves their heirs do hereby covenant and agree to and with the said Allen Ramsey his heirs that they the said Alexander and Samuel C the !
said tract of land with all and singular the rights members and appurt
enances thereunto belonging unto the said Allen Ramsey his heirs against the claim or claims of all and every person or persons whomsoever claiming or hereafter to claim by through or under them or either of them will forever warrant & defend by these presents.
Provided nevertheless and it is the true intent and meaning of these presents that should the above Alexander & Samuel C McKee their heirs well and truly pay off and discharge the said several sums of money at the time specified in the said notes and according to the tenor and effect thereof to the said Allen Ramsey or heirs as in the said notes mentioned then these premises and every part and sentence thereof shall be null and void and of no force and obligation anything herein contained to the contrary notwithstanding. In testimony whereof the parties to these presents have hereunto put their hands and affixed their seals the day and year first above written.
In presence of
David Case Received of Alexander and Sam`l McKee the above grantors full compensation for the above mortgage or obligation
Samuel C McKee seal
Nancy McKee her mark
Alexander McKee seal
Nance McKee her mark

April 15 1824
Allen Ramsey
(State of Indiana Franklin County)
Be it remembered that on the 7th day of October 1819 personally came before me David Case one of the Justices of the peace in and for the said county Samuel C McKee and his wife Nance McKee and Alexander McKee and his wife Nance McKee the within named grantors who acknowledge this with testament to their voluntary act and deed for the use and purposes mentioned with the said Nance and Nance being examined separate from their husbands and apart as the law directs.
Sworn under my hand and seal this 7th day of October 1819
David Case J.P. seal
Recorded 4th May 1821

2nd land record
This indenture made the twenty seventh day of March in the year of the Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty one between Alexander McKee & Samuel C McKee of Franklin County & state of Indiana of the one part and Lewis McKee of Hamilton county and the state of Ohio of the other part. Witnesseth that the said Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee for and in consideration of the sum of three thousand two hundred and seventy six dollars lawful money of the United States to them the said Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee in hand paid the Receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged before the signing & delivering of these presents hath granted bargained & sold and by these presents do grant bargain & sell and confirm into the aforesaid Lewis McKee his heirs and assigns forever: two distinct tracts or parcels of land situate on White water in the Country & state aforesaid the one lying & being in township number eight section number 14 range number two in the south side of the northe!
ast quarter of the section aforesaid (west of a meridian line drawn from the mouth of the great Miami river) of lands directed to be sold at Cincinnati under an act of congress in that case made and provided; beginning in the west line of said quarter section & running south four degrees east sixty one poles to a buckeye thence north eighty five east one hundred & sixty five poles to the middle of White Water river thence up said river with the several courses thereof about two hundred poles to the beginning containing sixty two acres & ninety eight & one half poles more or less. The other the southeast quarter of section fourteen of township eight of range two (also west of said meridian) situate lying & being in the county of Franklin & state of Indiana. To have and to hold the above described lands with the appurtenances hereby released & conveyed unto the said Lewis McKee his heirs & assigns forever and the said Alexander McKee & Samuel C McKee for themselves their hei!
rs executors and administrators the aforesaid described lands with the
appurtenances unto the said Lewis McKee his heirs & assigns against the claim or claims of all & every person or persons will warrant and forever defend by these presents. In witness whereof the said Alexander McKee and Samuel C McKee and Nancy McKee wife of said Samuel C McKee who hereby relinquishes all her right of dower in the premises with the appurtenances herein & hereby conveyed have hereunto set their hands & seals the day and year above sworn.
Robert Elliott James Mewhin
Alexander McKee seal
Samuel C McKee seal
Nancy McKee her mark
State of Indiana
Franklin County
Personally came before me the undersigned one of the peace in and for said county Alexander McKee Samuel C McKee within named grantors doth acknowledge the within Deed to be their voluntary act for the uses and purposes therein contained. Given under my hand and seal this 27th day of April 1821
Recorded 1st March 1822 Hugh May

Note that in the second record Alexander`s wife Nance isn`t mentioned, so I`m guessing she had died. The wife had to sign because she had dower rights to the land. Of the children of Alexander that I am aware of only George W was born before this date, about 1817. I don`t know when Rachel was born, so she could have been Nance`s child too.
The others I am aware of are:
Sarah, b about 1824
Francis Marion born about 1825
Alexander, born about 1829
Cynthia, born about 1830
Elizabeth, born about 1834
Thomas, born about 1834

I am not sure who Alexander`s second wife was, but here is a possibility:
Alexander Mckee
Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958
FamilySearch.org
Groom's Name Alexander Mckee
Bride's Name Eleanor Lanpher
Marriage Date 16 Jan 1823
Marriage Place Hamilton, Butler, Ohio
Indexing Project (Batch) Number M01210-0
System Origin Ohio-EASy
Source Film Number 355779
Reference Number v 1 p 177
More information about this record is available at FamilySearch.org:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordimage;c=fs:1681001;r=r_348488499;pn=p4