MCMINN-L Archives

Archiver > MCMINN > 2002-01 > 1011832710

Subject: [MCMINN-L] Robert McMinn
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:38:30 EST

Actually, only the following came from the Margaret D. Lutes
write-up:
The Robert McMinn Family

> [...]
> > Township. He left will dated 19 November 1757,
> > probated 2 May 1758, naming his wife Mary, and
> > children: William, son-in-law Benjamin Dillworth
> > "who
> > is marryed to my Daughter Elizabeth", a son-in-law
> > John Long "who is marryed to my daughter Jane",
> > grandson Robert Dillworth, son of Benjamin and
> > Elizabeth; grandaughter Margaret Dillworth
> daughter
> > of
> > Benjamin and Elizabeth; and son Robert. Trusty
> > friend
> > Thomas Robinson of Chester County, and Francis
> > Armstron of County of Cecil in Maryland were named
> > executors. Witnesses: John Aken, Isaac Sanders,
> > Smuel
> > Steel.
> >
> > This will is #230, found in Book 3 of Lancaster
> > Wills.
> > Throughout the body of the document, the name is
> > spelled "McMEEN"; however, the testator signed it
> > "Robert McMIN".
> >
> > The tax list of 1763 for Little Britain shows a
> > widow
> > McMINN paying taxes of 3s.
> >
> > 1a The William McMIN who took up 50 acres on
> > December
> > 10,1752, and whose warrant for 100 acres is dated
> 11
> > April 11752 on Octorara Creek, adjacent to
> Anthonty
> > Pickering and others, is believed to be a son of
> > Robert and Mary. In 1762, Esther McMIN is shown
> on
> > mortgage (Deed Bk H, #27) to be a widow.
> >
> > 2a Elizabeth McMIN, daughter of Robert and Mary
> > McMIN, married Benjamin Dilworth (which see)
> >
> > 3a Jane McMIN, daughter of Robert and Mary McMin,
> > married John Long. The Long family settled in
> > Drumore
> > Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. John
> > Long,
> > an iron maker, was the earliest member of that
> > family,
> > coming to America in the late 1730's from
> Scotland.
> > The family located at Chestnut Level, and were
> > members
> > of the Chestnut Level Presbyterian Church for
> which
> > he
> > did the iron work. The graveyard contains stones:
> >
> > In Memory of John Long who departed this life
> > 1783,
> > aged 57 years.
> > Here lies the body of Hugh Long, son of Robert
> > Long,
> > who departed this life September 26, 1811, aged 40
> > years.
> > In Memory of Henry Long, who departed this life
> > August 13, 1776, aged 13 years.
> > In Memory of Moses Long, son of Hugh and Ann
> Long,
> > who departed this life the 15th day of October
> 1814,
> > aged 21 years, 7 months.
> > In Memory of James Long who departed this life
> > November 22, 1803 aged 69 years.
> > In Memory of Robert Long, who departed this

The following was not her authorship and was not in her booklet:
4a Robert McMIN, Jr., born ca 1725, son of Robert
> > and
> > Mary McMIN, married ca 1748 to Sarah HARLAN,
> > daughter
> > of William HARLAN, who was born "23rd day of ye
> 9th
> > month, and 3rd day of ye week, 1732". The family
> > removed to Hampshire Countdy, Virginia, previouse
> > 11th month, 1744, when her father's will was
> written
> > wherein he willed her the "sum of 5s current money
> > of
> > Pennsylvania". It is presumed for lack of other
> > evidence that both Robert McMIN, Jr. and his wife,
> > Sarah HARLAN, died in Hampshire County.
> >
> > 1b Elizabeth McMIN, daughter of Robert Jr. and
> > wife
> > Sarah (Harlan) was born 26 July 1749; married
> > Stephen
> > Chandler.
> > 2b Martha McMIN, daughter of Robert Jr. and
> wife
> > Sarah (Harlan), born 3 May 1752, died 9 July 1849,
> > married Joel Baily, 15 October 1772.
> > 3b John McMIN, born 3 December 1754, dy
> > 4b Margaret McMIN, born 22 August 1756, dy
> > 5b Joseph McMIN, born 22 June 1758, died 17
> > November 1823, married 3 times. One wife was
> > apparently Hannah Cooper
> > 6b George McMIN, son of Robert Jr. and wife
> Sarah
> > (Harlan), was born 8 April, 1761
> > 7b Robert McMIN, son of Robert Jr., and wife
> > Sarah
> > (Harlan), was born 12 January, 1764, served as a
> > private in the Maryland Militia, and was
> pensioned.
> > He married Mary ( ), and in 1794 removed with his
> > family into South Beaver Township, Beaver Co.,
> > Pennsylvania. On the 1800 census, he returned:
> > Rober McMIN, 3 males under 10; 1 male 26-45;
> 2
> > females under 16; 1 female 45 plus
> >
> > By 1830, one son was living in Hawkins County,
> > Tennessee, and on was living near Sharpsburg,
> > Maryland.

The Robert McMinn who died May 4, 1857 in Beaver Co. was
born Dec. 4, 1766 and was the brother of the Elizabeth who
married Benjamin Dilworth. Both were children of Robert
and Mary who mother discussed earlier and Janet copied
here.

In no place does Mother include the McMinn-Harlan family
in her book or connect the 2 families.

PLEASE NOTE that more than one source have been copied
and placed together by Janet.

Cathy Gowdy
Marin Co. Gen. Soc.

This thread: