MCROBERTS-L Archives

Archiver > MCROBERTS > 2003-08 > 1061382193

From: Collingwood Keith OBP <>
Subject: RE: Samuel McRoberts Sr.
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:23:13 -0400

Hello Amanda;

Thank you for your information on Sir Alexander and Lady MacRobert (no "s").
I hate to disappoint you but I doubt that there is a connection. If so, I
would love to share information with you. If there is a connection it would
probably be with Sir Alexander's GG Grandfather John McRobert who moved to
Drumblade, Aberdeenshire around 1700 his daughter was born 1709).

His grandfather is my GGG Grandfather. He was born in Tarland,
Aberdeenshire, Scotland. His father John moved from Drumblade,
Aberdeenshire when the landowners starting kicking the croft farmers off the
land. John went to Tarland, his brother William and 2 sisters went to
Banffshire (no issue), 3 brothers went to Australia (1 with issue), and 1
went to Kent, England (8 children, most of which went to Massachusetts or
Onterio, only 1 male had issue, in Massachusetts). I have been working on
tracking all of the McRoberts from Sir Alexander's GG Grandfather to present
and I did not find anyone named Samuel.

On Lady MacRobert (they added the "a" in Mac), I have quite a bit of info as
my grandfather corresponded with Lady MacRobert for several years after
seeing the article in Life magazine in [June?] 1941. Sir Alexander had 3
sons. Alasdair died in a plane crash at Luton Aerodrome in 1938, Roderick
died while attacking an aerodrome in Iraq (Mosul?), in 1940 and youngest
brother Ian was missing in action 1 month later while on patrol over the
North Sea. Lady MacRobert donated the funds for 4 fighters, 1 for each son
and another for the Soviet Union. She also donated the Bomber which was
named "MacRobert's Reply."

Ironically I am related to Sir Alexander through my mother, and Lady
MacRobert (nee Rachael Workman, Worchester, Mass.) through my father.

I wish you luck in your searches. I hope that my information is helpful.

Sincerely, :)

Keith