MD-BaltimoreCity-L Archives

Archiver > MD-BaltimoreCity > 2008-04 > 1209528730

From: "John Siemon" <>
Subject: Re: [MD-BALTIMORECITY] German Orphanage
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:12:10 -0400

Skip,
You haven't responded, so I don't know if you saw my previous answer or not.
The main German orphanage, a few blocks from Gay Street in 1900, was the
German Orphan Asylum, described below. The same organization is now called
The Childrens' Home, in Catonsville, MD. They may be able to tell you
whether old records are available and where they are.

Here is their web site.
http://www.thechildrenshome.net/

Here is another site that describes their history, relocations and name
changes from 1863. It even includes a picture of the old Aisquith Street
building.
http://www.thechildrenshome.net/Media/Case%20Statement%20Master%20Plan.PDF

I have another 12-page article with a great deal of history on the home and
experiences of those who lived there. If you think this is where your
grandfather was, let me know and I can send you the article.

John