MD-BaltimoreCity-L Archives

Archiver > MD-BaltimoreCity > 2009-09 > 1254007251

From: "John Siemon" <>
Subject: Re: [MD-BALTIMORECITY] St. Vincent Cemetery
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:20:51 -0400

Letty,
The Clifton Park land belonged to Johns Hopkins in the 1800's. Clifton
Mansion, which still stands in the park and is sometimes open for tours, was
his summer home. Like the cemetery, it is not in good condition. When he
died, it was his intent that the land be used to build the university there.
The trustees decided to build the university on Charles Street and
eventually the land was sold to the city. Old maps label the land as "Johns
Hopkins." The St. Vincent Cemetery sits in the middle of the park golf
course and there's not much left of it.

The Archives of the Archdiocese of Baltimore describes their closed
cemeteries in this document.
http://www.stmarys.edu/archives/closed_cemeteries.pdf
On page 3, the Archdiocese says they have no information on the St. Vincent
Cemetery records. Church burial records for St. Vincent de Paul and St.
James the Less, both of which used the cemetery, are on microfilm at the MD
State Archives. I believe St. James' can be viewed online but there are big
gaps in them.

I don't know who "owns" the cemetery, but I believe all parties have
declined responsibility for many years, which is why it is in that state.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your efforts.

John