MD-CEMETERIES-L Archives

Archiver > MD-CEMETERIES > 2006-01 > 1138334360

From: Kathi Jones-Hudson <>
Subject: Re: [MD-CEM] When visiting a cemetery...
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:59:20 -0800 (PST)

Laurie:

I've had many volunteers taking photographs of various
cemeteries in Maryland for many years and I think most
of them do the 'apologize later' method ... if asked
some cemeteries, especially larger ones, might say no.
Small cemeteries and church cemeteries may not even
have anyone around to ask.

So far I've not had anyone say they had a problem with
cemetery officials, but there was one church in MD
where one person took a few pictures of his own
relatives and the minister found our website and blew
up .. found out later that a Scout group had
transcribed the entire cemetery, guess he thought no
one else should. But that's been my only complaint
from a cemetery in 7 yrs of doing this. Mostly when
cemeteries get in touch, it's to contribute
transcriptions, send photos, etc.

Just be careful to avoid on-going funerals and be
respectful. Many cemeteries appreciate this work,
others obviously don't. I do know of some cemeteries
where cameras are forbidden and others where they say
'only your relatives'. About all they will probably do
is request that you leave.

BTW: If you are interested in contributing your
photos/transcriptions to the MD Tombstone Project
please contact me off-list. You too Leonard.

Kathi Jones-Hudson
MD Tombstone Transcription Project Manager
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/maryland/maryland.html