MD-FRED-GEN-L ArchivesArchiver > MD-FRED-GEN > 2003-04 > 1051539470
Subject: [MDFred] Ijamsville, Maryland
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:18:12 EDT
Ijamsville, Maryland - This is rather long but most interesting. Roberta
Plummer Ijams b. 1716 moved to Frederick CO., Md in January 1785 to an area
that became known as Ijamsville with early settlers from the families of
Duvall, Mussetter, Burgee, Montgomery and Riggs.........................
In 1832, the annual report of the B & O Railroad referred to the village as
"Ijams" Mill and Bantz' Slate Quarries. The name was appropriate for during
the 19th Century, the business life centered around the grist mill which was
built by John Ijams..........
About 1831, Plummer Ijams, Jr. gave to the B & O Railroad right of way
through his land. In consideration for this, the Company agreed to establish
a depot and to name it "Ijams Mill." Among the Civil engineers who laid out
the railroad was an uncle to the then Mary Latrobe of Baltimore. These
people were often entertained by Plummer Ijams at the old Ijams homestead.
In 1833, the B & O Minute book C, indicate that an application of P. Ijams
for a private depot was granted.
On June 22, 1832, in President Andrew Jackson's administration the Post
Office established a post office at Ijams' Mill and named it 'Ijamsville' and
appointed Plummer Ijams, Jr. as the first postmaster. Ijamsville was
included on Mail route No. 1373 from Baltimore to Frederick, Elliciott's
Mills, Elyville, Parrsville [now Ridgeville], New Market and Ijamsville.
Successors to Plummer as Postmasters were, Lemuel Mussetter, John Mussetter,
James Ijams, Tyler Davis and Richard Ijams. James and Richard were sons of
Plummer Ijams, Jr..........................................
On March 13, 1832, which was one of the most exciting days for the village
folks of Ijamsville was four B & O Cars, each drawn by a single horse and
with eight passengers aboard on the first historic journey from Baltimore to
Frederick passed through Ijams Mill. At 9a.m., the cars left Baltimore and
stopped six miles from Pratt street for refreshments and a two minute delay
for changing horses, stopped an hour and half later at Ellicott's Mills where
still another delay of horses were waiting. They stopped numerous times
during the journey and about 31 and one-fourth miles from Baltimore, they
stopped again at the tavern and plantation of Myr Sykes, for whom Sykesville
was named, for dinner and another change of horses. The rate of speed was
about nine miles per hour. [The story of a Country Village of Frederick Co.,
MD 1951 by Charles Moylan Associate Judge, Supreme Bench of Baltimore City.
Permission granted by his son to use this story.]