MDALLEGA-L Archives

Archiver > MDALLEGA > 2000-04 > 0956871892

From: Elaine D Tomkins <>
Subject: Re: [MDALLEGA-L] Borden and Borden Shaft
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:44:52 -0400

Virginia,

Since Borden Shaft between Frostburg & Midland was given that name officially in
the mid-1800's and even had a post office for many years, I doubt that the
Borden Rd area just outside the northern Frostburg city limits would have had
the same name, at least not in any official capacity. Yesterday, I checked the
USGS Mapping Site http://www-nmd.usgs.gov/www/gnis/gnisform.html which also
shows "historical" towns (those that no longer exist), and the only Maryland
town with Borden in the name was Borden Shaft (bet. Frostburg & Midland).
Unfortunatly, the USGS site is closed today for maintenance (sounds like a
public restroom!). Are you sure there was ever a mining shaft in the Borden Rd
area? That area has a lot of railroad tracks, and most places that have had
underground mining done would never support the weight and vibration of trains,
and I suspect those tracks have been there a long time. Even in places between
Borden Shaft and Midland, they have had trouble with sink holes from the
underground mining done there close to a century or more ago. They have
actually had sink holes occur in the road. Indeed, you can drive down State Rt.
936 toward Midland and see signs warning of possible sink holes.

Elaine

"Virginia W. Kelly" wrote:

> You were right when you ask about Borden Rd. That small road and surrounding
> area was/is Borden or I suspect the right name was Borden Shaft except that
> the shaft part was the mine shaft and since it isn'tt there anymore I guess
> they just call it Borden.

This thread: