MDALLEGA-L Archives

Archiver > MDALLEGA > 2004-12 > 1102363006

From: "Sarah Fuller" <>
Subject: Re: [MDALLEGA] Shivarees and Serenading
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:56:46 -0500

All this talk of shivarees reminds me of the current fraternity tradition of
'poling'. When a fraternity member gets engaged, he is kidnapped by his
fraternity brothers, stripped to his underwear (or less), tied to a pole,
then covered in whatever leftovers happen to be in the house fridge. Many
photos are taken, and a message is delivered to the future bride as to the
whereabouts of the future groom, and she has to go untie him. Thank goodness
they don't do it on the wedding night!
Sarah