MDALLEGA-L Archives

Archiver > MDALLEGA > 2006-07 > 1153858334

Subject: Re: [MDALLEGA] Cousins (OT)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:12:14 EDT

John,

In our family we have close second and third cousins. Being the genealogist
in the family, I always explain relationships in the proper terms. However,
I have found that second cousin translates into cousin and anything further
removed than that usually translates into "we're somehow related." I have
heard my children say things like "our grandfathers were brothers", "his mom
is my dad's cousin" or "we had the same great grandparents."

I have always found it easier to explain the relationships with visual aids.
When you have a tree which looks more like a ladder that only shows the two
people in question, their common ancestor and the direct lines in between it
makes it much easier to explain the once, twice, three times removed part of
the relationship.

It really gets interesting when your great grandparents are second cousins
and the great grandfather's sister marries the great grandmother's uncle. Try
keeping that straight. Their kids end up being first cousins as well as
nieces and nephews of the parents and first cousins with the kids.

Karen McCunney

This thread: