MDALLEGA-L ArchivesArchiver > MDALLEGA > 2007-12 > 1196799596
From: GuyInColumbus <>
Subject: [MDALLEGA] FYI: obit "found" for Alice Wagner,d. 1970 in Allegany County, MD
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:19:56 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for all the replies. A kind and generous person from this list found and sent me the obit for my Alice Wagner (and her husband Frederick as well). The obit(s) contained the info I was looking for, so I'm not going to jump through the hurdles to try and get copies of death certificates (unless I find I need later). I appreciate everyone's help.
If anyone is interested or is also researching Wagners in Allegany County, Maryland, here is the info from the obits:
Alice Beryl Wagner
- Obit published in Cumberland Evening Times, Thursday, December 24, 1970, page 18.
- Age 67, died 1970, Dec 23, Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.
- Formerly of 120 Wempe Drive.
- Born in Berkeley Springs.
- Preceded in death by her parents, Edward and Iona (Householder) Ganoe, and her husband Frederick Ernest Wagner.
- Survivors: a son Charles R (Richard) Wagner of Cumberland; 3 daughters, Mrs. Betty Nixon of Cumberland, Mrs. Rose Marie Harrison of Dayton, Ohio, and Mrs. Virginia Lee Kinsinger of Grantsville.
- The viewing was at the Wendt Funeral Home.
- Interment was at Mt. Herman Cemetery.
- Obit published in the Evening Times Cumberland, MD. Tuesday, November 12, 1957, page 11 and 12.
- Age 68, died 1957, Nov. 12, Memorial Hospital, Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.
- Residence: 12 Grand Avenue.
- Born 1889, July 9 in Hamburg, Germany.
- World War I veteran.
- B&O Railroad carman.
- Preceded in death by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herman Wagner.
- Survivors: His widow, the former Alice Beryl Ganoe; a son Charles R (Richard) Wagner of Cumberland; three daughters, Mrs. Betty L. Nixon of Cumberland, Mrs. Virginia L. Kinsinger of Grantsville, and Miss Rose Marie Wagner at home (Cumberland).
- The viewing was at the Scarpelli Funeral Home.
I did find a webpage about a Mt. Hermon Cemetery on Williams Road, Vumberland, MD, and it listed Frederick Wagner (d. 1957, Nov 12), but oddly it didn't list Alice Wagner, althought her obit said she would be interred in Mt Herman Cemetery.
Thanks again to all who helped,
Edith Chaney <> wrote:
Have you considered asking for a cemetery listing in Allegany County lookup
for your Alice Wagner? Maybe someone on the list has some cemetery books.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:32 PM
Subject: [MDALLEGA] Death Certificate for Alice Wagner,d. about 1971 in
Allegany County, MD
> I live in Columbus, Ohio. I have been reading through various
government websites trying to figure out how I get a copy of a DC for a
person who died in Allegany County, MD in about 1971. I tried the Allegany
County (Health Department or Circuit Court) website, but they only offer DCs
up to 30 days after a death. I tried the MD Vital Records Office website,
but they will only issue DCs for legal purposes to a direct descendant, etc.
> I also tried the MD State Archives, which seems to be the most promising
at this point. One spot on their website says they have county DC's for
1898-1972 (which includes the time period I'm looking for), however, it also
states that they have no index for the dates 1968-1972. Another place on
the website says they will only accept county DC requests for the dates that
they have indexed, that being 1898-1951. So, it seems there is no way to
get a DC for 1971 from the Archive.
> Does anyone have any suggestions how a guy in Columbus gets hold of an
Allegany County Death Certificate for a person who died (I think) in 1971,
and I think the death was in Cumberland? Not knowing the exact date, it's
not possible to ask the Allegany County library to look up the obituary.
So, I'm looking for creative ideas on how to move forward in finding a
record of this person's death.
> Here is what I know about the person I'm researching:
> - Name at death: Alice Beryl Wagner (the spelling of the middle name is
> - Date of death: most likely in 1971.
> - Location of death: most likely in Cumberland, MD, in some sort of
> - Name of Husband: Frederick Ernest Wagner (who preceeded her in death,
but I don't know when. Would also love to find Frederick's death
> - Her maiden name: Alice Beryl Gnoe (but "Gnoe" is a guess by her living
> - I know of two of her children who were living at the time of her
death: Richard Wagner of MD. Rose Marie Harrison of Dayton / Beavercreek,
Ohio. I know there was at least another daughter (maybe 2), but don't know
> Any help in finding Alice Beryl Wagner's death information, or
suggestions on how I could find it, would be gratefully appreciated.
> Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
|[MDALLEGA] FYI: obit "found" for Alice Wagner,d. 1970 in Allegany County, MD by GuyInColumbus <>|