MDALLEGA-L Archives

Archiver > MDALLEGA > 2010-11 > 1289060313

From: Priscilla Engeman <>
Subject: Re: [MDALLEGA] The Alleganian Jul 13 1864
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 09:18:33 -0700

The heading for the column says:
(From The Alleganian (Cumberland, Maryland)
July 13, 1864)

State Draft for Allegany County
-----
The following is the official list of the names drawn in Baltimore, on
the (5th inst.?), from the State enrollment list of the several
districts of this county, made in 1862, to fill the quota of Allegany
County in the 2000 militia, for one hundred days' service, called out
by the Governor. The persons drafted are ordered to report at Camp
Bradford, near Baltimore, 'in person, or by substitute,' on or before
Saturday the 16th day of July. The only cause of exemption recognized
or allowed to those drafted are '(actual?) physical disability' for
the service required, and '(over-age?)'

*from ' to ' written in italics

As you can see, there are a few words that are unclear to me. Can any
of you who have access to this page make them out?

An exhilarating, fascinating and exhausting project would be to
research each of the 170 men from Allegany County who's names were
drawn from the State enrollment list. I recognize so many names from
my hours and hours devouring the Allegany/Garrett County census records.

Ah, if only I could clone myself, I would be able to do all that I wish.
: )
Priscilla

This thread: