MDCHARLE-L Archives

Archiver > MDCHARLE > 2005-09 > 1127477767

From: "Linda Reno" <>
Subject: Re: [MDCHARLE-L] ANN NEALE AND RAPHAEL NEALE, PYE FAMILY
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:16:07 -0400

Good morning,

I have a different theory. I believe that Henrietta, widow of John Pye, was
born Henrietta Pye and that she was the daughter of Walter Pye and Margaret
Tant. She married her first cousin, John Pye, son of Charles Pye and Mary
Booth.

Ann Pye, sister of Henrietta, married prior to 1771, Gerard Neale, son of
Henry Neale and Mary Slye. This is the Ann Neale referred to as NOK in
Henrietta Pye's administration accounts dated March 20, 1775-June 12, 1776.
Walter Pye is Henrietta's brother and he's administering on her estate. Ann
(Pye) Neale married second, Roger Brooke between 1776-1777 based on this
record:

11/25/1778: Gerard Neale's final acct. Acct. of Roger Brooke and Ann, his
wife, Admx. of Gerard Neale. Refers to inventory on 10/25/1773; Ann was
Admin. de bonis non of Richard Neale. Refers to debt listed 1/3/1772 to Dr.
Joseph Adderton for medicines to Walter Neale, son-in-law to the deceased.
Securities: Jesse Matthews and Walter Pye. Representatives: The widow and
Joseph Neale, son to the deceased, 7 years old last March 19. (Charles Co.
Probate Rec., 1777-1780).

The Richard Neale named in the accounts was the brother of Gerard Neale
(husband of Elizabeth Boarman who had predeceased him):

Will of Richard Neale, Charles Co., 8/22/1772-10/15/1772. Son: Henry,
negroes Frank, Mary, Jeney, and Jem. Daughter: Mary, negroes Nell, Nathan,
Harry, and Joe; as long as she's single to have pt. of dwelling house and
rents from plantation where William Boarman now lives. Children: Henry and
Mary, all of my moveable estate. Son: Henry, land on Wicomico River where I
now live and if he dies without issue to daughter Mary and if she dies
without issue to brother, Gerard Neale. Exec: John Lancaster. Wit: John
Neale, W. Francis Neale, Charles Bradley. Henry Neale, heir-at-law, being a
minor, was not present at probate. John Lancaster refuses executorship.

Admin. accts. of Richard Neale, Chas. Co., 4/23/1777; sureties were Bennet
Neale and Jesse Matthews; distribution to Mary Neale by the death of Henry
Neale; Admx. (de bonis non): Ann Brooke, wife of Mr. Roger Brooke (Skinner).

As far as I know, William Neale (son of Roswell Neale and his first wife,
Mary Brent) and Anne Brooke didn't have a daughter named Henrietta. No
mention of a daughter by that name in William Neale's will (recited below)
or that of his widow Ann (also recited below).

Raphael Neale (son of Roswell Neale and his second wife, Elizabeth
Blackistone) was, of course, a half brother of Gerard Neale, but he's not
the Raphael Neale being referred to in the records below. This is Raphael
Neale, son of William Neale and Ann Brooke.

Linda Reno