MDCHARLE-L Archives

Archiver > MDCHARLE > 2011-08 > 1314228770

From: "Amanda Douglass" <>
Subject: [MDCHARLE] SIMON PEARSON/ daughter CONSTANTIA PEARSON m. NATHANIELCHAPMAN/ ALEXANDER/ BROWN/ FOWKE/ DENT/ SCOTT/ WAUGH
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:33:17 -0400

Hi Ruth,

Yes this does help.
The PEARSON line could be of major importance in proving certain relationships.

John Alexander married a Susannah Pearson who may be d/o below Simon Pearson.
John Alexander's mother Ann nee Fowke was sister of Frances Fowke m. Dr. Gustavus Brown.
[Dr. Gustavus Brown was in records with a William Maconchie and a Robert Maconchie.]

John Alexander's wife Susannah Pearson seems to have had a sister Constantia Pearson m. Nathaniel Chapman?
[Nathaniel Chapman and wife Constantia may have had a son PEARSON CHAPMAN who shows up as witness on Will of JOANNA WOOD in CC MD.]

Nathaniel Chapman may also have been named "friend" along with Peter Hedgman on the Will of George Williams m. Jane Pope.
George Williams' son Nathaniel Williams married Elizabeth Hudson, d/o Thomas Hudson who died 1750 in CC MD.
[Thomas Hudson had daughter Ann Hudson who may possibly have married an Alexander Maconchie who was my 5xgf.]

Additional comments and corrections needed.
Thank you,
Amanda

===
Note below Will of SIMON PEARSON had NATHANIEL CHAPMAN and ALEXANDER SCOTT.

I think this was REV. ALEXANDER SCOTT whose brother JAMES SCOTT m. SARAH BROWN, d/o Dr. GUSTAVUS BROWN.

REV. ALEXANDER SCOTT was in another record with DAVID WAUGH whose father REV. JOHN WAUGH may have been on CC MD estate of JOHN WRIGHT whose son THOMAS WRIGHT m. MARY BOOKER.

Stafford Co VA Will Book M: 1729-1748; Pg 26
pp 101-105. IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN, I, Simon Pearson of the Parish of Overwharton in the County of Stafford, Gent. being sick of body but of good and perfect memory thanks be to almighty God and calling to remembrance the uncertain Estate of this transitory life and that all flesh must yield to death when it shall please God to call do make constitute ordain and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following revoking and annulling by these presents all and every Testament and Testaments will and Wills by me made and declared either by word or writing and this to be taken only for my Iast Will and Testament and none other and first being penitent and sorry from the Bottom of my heart for my sins past most humbly desiring forgiveness for the same I give and commit my soul unto Almighty God my Savior and Redeemer in whom and by the merits of Jesus Christ, I trust and believe assured to be saved and to have full Remission and forgiveness of all my sins and that my soul with my body at the general day of Resurrection shall rise again with joy and through the merits of Christs Death and Passion possess and inherit the Kingdom of Heaven pre-pared for his elect and chosen and in my body to be buried in such place where it shall please my Exor. hereafter named to appoint and now for the settling of my temporal Estate and such goods chattels and debts as it has pleased God far above my deserts to bestow upon me I do order give and dispose the same in manner and form following that is to say Imprimis: I will that all those debts and duties which I owe in right and conscience to any manner of person or persons what soever shall be well and truly contented and paid within convenient time after my decease by my Exor. hereafter named.

Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Hannah Pearson the use, labor and occupation of two negro men named Kilmoccoo and Quomenicco and of negro Fanny and her child Conny and of one negro girl named Sarah and of their future increase during the natural life of my said wife and from and after her decease I give and bequeath the said negroes and every of them with their and every of the future increase to my son Thomas in such manner as is herein after limited and appointed.
Item, I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Constantia four hundred and thirty two acres of land in Prince William County which I bought of James Robertson according to the bounds, mentioned in the deed to the said Robertson for the land from the proprietor office together with a negro man named Johnson a negro woman named Vaughan daughter named Sue which, land and negroes whith and every of their future increase I give and bequeath unto my said daughter Constantia and to the heirs of her body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to my son Thomas and the heirs of his body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to be equally divided between my daughters Susanna and Margaret and the heirs of each of their bodies Lawfully begotten forever and if but one of them should on the failure of issue of their brother be living and no issue of her sister left which issue otherwise is to have the mothers part then the whole to be to such of my said daughters Susanna and Margaret as shall be so living and her heirs of her body lawfully begotten for ever and for want of such heirs then to my own right heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Susanna one hundred and ninty five acres of land in Prince William County which I bought of James Robertson and adjoining to the four hundred and thirty two acres above devised to my daughter Constantia and also three hundred and thirty acres of land on the south branch of fore miles run and the branches of Great Hunting Creek in Prince William County aforesd. according to the bounds thereof mentioned in the deed granted me for the same from the proprietors office dated the 17th day of February, 1729 together with a negro boy named peter a negro woman named Sarah and a negro girl named Winney which Iand and negros with their and every of their future increase I give and bequeath unto my said daughter Susanna and to the heirs of her body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to be equally divided between my daughter Constantia and Margaret and the heirs of each of their bodies lawfully begotten forever and if one of them be living on failure of their brother and no issue of her sister left which issue otherwise is to have the mothers part then the whole to be to such of my daughters Constantia and Margaret as shall be so living and her heirs of her body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heir then to my right heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Margaret all that tract of land which I bought of Capt. Thomas Harrison on the Branches of Great Hunting Creek in Prince William County afd. and also two hundred and thirteen acres of Iand on the Timber Branch of the afd. Great Hunting Creek according to the bounds thereof mentioned in the deed granted me for the same from the proprietors Office dated the 17th day of February, 1729 together with a negro woman named Kate and her daughter Philis and a Negro woman named Mollgoll which land and negroes with their and every of their future increase I give and bequeath unto my said daughter Margaret and to the heirs of her body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs to my son Thomas and the heirs of his body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to be equally divided between my daughter Constantia and Susanna and the heirs of each of their bodies lawfully begotten forever and if but one of them should be living on failure of issue of their brother and no issue of her sister left which issue is otherwise to have the mothers part then the whole to be to such of my said daughters Constantia and Susanna as shall be so living and her heirs of her body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to my own Right heirs forever.
Item, I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas all the rest of my lands and rights and title of lands whatsoever and wheresoever together with a negro man named Joe and his wife Amo and a negro man named Nimrod a negro woman named Sidgie a negro boy named Tom and a negro man child lately born to Negro Nan and also two negro men named Killmacco and Quoninicco a negro woman named jenny and her child Conny and a negro girl named Sarah after the death of my wife to whom their use labour and occupation is devised as aforesaid during her natural life which lands and negros their and every of their future increase I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas and the heirs of his body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to be equally divided between such of my daughters Constantia, Susanna and Margaret as shall be then living and the heir or heirs lawfully begotten of the body or bodies of her or them which shall be then dead in moiety or their parts according to the parts and proportioned the mother or mothers of such heirs should have been entitled to if living which part or parts after such division shall be Respectively or severally to them and the heirs of their several and respective bodies lawfully begotten forever and for want of such issue the part or parts of such of them so failing of issue to be to the survivours and the heirs of their several bodies lawfully begotten forever in equal parts and if there should be only one of my said Daughters surviving then the whole to her and the heirs of her body lawfully begotten forever and for want of such heirs then to my own right heirs forever.
Item, I give and devise what money I have in England remaining due to me after the goods I have sent for are paid for out of the same to be equally divided between my Daughter Constantia Susanna and Margaret and desire that the shares of my said Daughters Susanna and Margaret be laid out by my Exor with the approbation of Cap. Thomas Harrison to purchase negroes for the said Susanna and Margaret and as the goods I have sent for out of England they being chiefly wearing apparel for myself my wife and my Daughters and family my will and pleasure is that my wife and my daughters shall have such part of the same as was sent for for each of their proper use and that my son Thomas shall have such part thereof as I sent for for my use and that the goods sent for for the familys use with the rest of the goods which shall come in shall be equally divided between my wife my son Thomas and my three daughters, Constantia Susanna and Margaret
Item, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Constantia two gold rings and one new trunk to my daughter Susanna one gold ring and one new trunk to my daughter Margaret one gold ring and one new trunk and to my son Thomas one new trunk which rings and trunk I sent for to England by Capt. Nichollson.
Item, I give unto my son Thomas all my wearing apparel and unto my very good friend Capt. Thomas Harrison I give and bequeath twenty shillings to buy a mourning ring.
Item, I give and bequeath all the rest of my personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever not herein devised after my debts and funeral expenses paid to be equally divided between my wife Hannah my son Thomas and my daughter Constantia Susanna and Margaret but will and desire that the same shall not be appraised.
Item my will and pleasure is that my son Thomas shall have the care management and tuition of my daughters Susanna and Margaret and their estates till they shall respectively attain the age of eighteen years or be married and I hereby desire and require my said son that in the management thereof he pursue and follow the advise and direction of my good and trusty friend Cap. Thomas Harrison.
Lastly I constitute ordain and appoint my dear and welbeloved wife Hannah Pearson my Daughter Constantia Pearson and my son Thomas Pearson Executors and Executrixs of this my last Will and Testament and desire and request my good Cap. Thomas Harrison to be coadjutor and assistant to them therein and to direct and advise my son Thomas in the management of his own and of his young sisters estate for his trouble and expenses in which I will that he be paid out of my said Sons and youngest Daughters estate if he shall require it.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the seventh day of December in the years of our Lord God One thousand seven hundred and thirty one.
Simon Pearson (Seal)
Signed, sealed and published in the presents of us the words (which issue otherwise is to have the mothers part) in the first page the same words in the second page and the words (new) and (and their estate) in the third page being first interlined. Alex. Scott
J. Mercer
Philip Pritchet
Robert Ling
At a Court held for Stafford County the 9th day of May 1733. The within will and testament of Simon Pearson Gent. deced. was presented in Court by Thomas Pearson one of the Exor. therein named and by Nathaniel Chapman in right of his wife Constantia, another of the Exor. therein also named who made oath according to Law and was further proved by the oaths of Alexander Scott and John Mercer Gent. who on oath declared that they saw Philip Pritchet and Robert Ling sign the same as Witnesses and admitted to record and Thomas Pearson Wm. Allison and Elizabeth Cooke made oath that they heard the deced. declare and desire in his last sickness that the said will should stand without any other alteration than that his daughter Susanna should have a negro man named Solomon (purchased by him after making his said will) instead of a negro named Sarah devised her by the said will which negro died since the making thereof and on motion of the said Exor. certificate was granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.
Teste :
The. Claiborne, Clerk.
At a Court continued and held for Stafford County the 10th day of November, 1733 this will was further proved by the oaths of Hannah Pearson the other Exor. therein named and on her motion certificate was granted her for obtaining a probate thereof in due form.
Teste :
The. Claiborne, Clerk.

the Inventory of Nov. 27, 1733, was signed by Nath. Chapman and one Jno. Geoman, and the Clerk of the Court was H. Tyler.
The Account of the Estate, filed June 12, 1739, was signed by Nathaniel Chapman, Constantia Chapman and Thomas Pearson, before H. Tyler, Clerk of the Court. Mrs. Hannah Pearson did not sign either report.

It may be interesting to note that Hening's Statutes of Virginia, Vol. 4, page 331, mentions that the land of Simon Pearson upon the up-per side of Great Hunting Creek was used for a warehouse in May, 1732.

I believe that the below WILLIAM DENT could be husband of ANN WARREN.

Below JOHN MERCER was married first to CATHERINE MASON who was d/o GEORGE MASON and wife ELIZABETH WAUGH whose FATHER was REV. JOHN WAUGH. REV. JOHN WAUGH seems to have been on estate record of JOHN WRIGHT in CC MD whose son THOMAS WRIGHT m. MARY BOOKER, d/o JOHN BOOKER.

GEORGE ELGIN was on on estate of JOHN BOOKER who also had daughter SARAH BOOKER m. FRANCIS MEEK whose son JOHN BOOKER MEEK was witness with 'ELANDER McCONKY' on 1771 CC MD Will of Francis Evans.

ELIZABETH WAUGH had the brother DAVID WAUGH who was in record with REV. ALEXANDER SCOTT whose will bequeathed to the "Mr. WILLIAM MACONCHIE". WILLIAM MACONCHIE may have been the REV. WILLIAM MACONCHIE of CC MD?

Below CATESBY COCKE may have been FATHER of ELIZABETH CATESBY COCKE who was 2nd wife of JOHN GRAHAM who was married for only TWO MONTHS to CHRISTIAN BROWN, d/o DR. GUSTAVUS BROWN.

DR. GUSTAVUS BROWN was in records with a WILLIAM MACONCHIE and a ROBERT MACONCHIE.
==========

STAFFORD COUNTY VA WILL BOOK M; 1729-1748; THE ANTIENT PRESS pp. 271-273
Dr. 1733 Capt SIMON PEARSONS Estate to NATHAL. CHAPMAN Contra To 1 drest akin for his son, paid RICHD. FLETCHER for goods, delivered JAMES WADE for his freedom dues, cash paid Coll. NICHS. SMITH, 7 gallons Rum at the funeral, paid Hawleys and Godfrey for Levies for 1732, paid Capt WASHINGTON & Co. for Sundrys, paid JAMES CARTER for Quit rents of 7246 acres of land @ 2/ Sterl p hundred 25 p ct on do to make it currency, paid James Carter for an order from GEO. BUCHANAN on accot. Capt ARBUTHNOTS estate, To WILLIAM HALES accot., paid JOHN GRANT, paid Mr. NELSON for a hat band and g]oves for THOMAS PEARSON, paid WILLIAM HERLE, paid RICHTD FLETCEHER for galls rum and Sugar for the reaping, paid THOMAS EVES for note, paid Thomas Eves for making a mourning coat. for Thos. Pearson paid JOHN SMITH, payd JAMES WAUGH for cone hire, paid PETER LEEDCHAN for Levies,
Cr. 1733 June 16 Note reced of JAMES GOING of JOHN PAGE, Cash reced THOS. PEARSON, Note of EDWARD SNOXELL, Ditto GEORGE SYMSON, Cash of DARBY BRYAN, JOHN MERCER, JOHN HERLE, Aug IOth By crop reced made at the home plantation on Potomack creek, By ditto made in Pr. William, Note reced of JAMES SUDDUTH, EDWARD WILLIAMS, THOS, SMITH, Rappa. THOMAS FURR, JOHN PAGE, STEPHEN FULLER, EDWD. WILLIAMS, SIMON BOWLING, of WM. NORTHCOAT, of LEWIS ELSEY cash reced for the warehouse rent 1733 paid JOHN WITHERS HARPER for a debt, paid JOHN MERCER, WM. DENT, MARY SHAVONS acct. shipped to JAMES BUCHANAN, Shipped in BUCKERIDGCE, paid CATESBY COCKS note, paid Grigsby`s Judgment, Capt. SPOORE for Inspection he paid, paid Marlbro Inspectors 4 crop hhds. paid WM. BROOK-SHIRES acct. 1734 Augt. 10 Capt HEDGMAN'S account azid levies. paid WM. WALKER for a coffin, paid SARAH JEWARS acct, paid Mr, SCOTT for the funeral SerMan, paid Mr. CLAIBORNE for elks note, paid SAN'L. TIMMONS, JOHN GRANT paid the inspector of 7 hhds Tobo had out of hunting creek warehouse and ships in hoard the Smith Capt. BUCKRIDGE @ 3/. July 5 paid JAMES CARTER for quit rents 5636 acres land 1733 Sterling paid THOMAS HARISSON SENR. for a Legacy left him, paid MOSELY BATTALEY for a fee agst TRAMELL paid EBENEZER MOSS his acct Smiths work, 1734 - paid WPM. BROOKSHIRE, paid WM. HALE for MARY STRAUGHANS living at ye Quarter, paid EDWARD EMMS for Levies, paid GEORGE TRAMELL, paid JAMES BAXTER, WILLIAM HERLE, Mr. COCKS clks note, 1735 To the hire of a Boat to carry Tobo to the warehouse 2 days at 20 p day, payd MICHAEL REGAN, EDWARD EMMS, ANN BALL, LEWIS ELSEY, EDWARD EMMES, JERE BRANAUGH, WILLIAM HERLE, Mr. NATHL. CHAPMAN, 1734 reced of NICHOLAS GRIMES, LEWIS ELSEY, WILLIAM BRUESTER, RICHD. RAKSTRAW, THOMAS COATHER, MOSES GOIN, THOMAS WEST, DAVID THOMAS, JAMES HALLEY, JOHN BURK, By MICHAEL REGANS rent, by Tobo reced HENRY WATSON
E E p Thos. Pearson
At Court held for Stafford County June 12th 1739 Nathaniel Chapman and Thomas Pearson ExEs of SIMON PEARSON deced presented account .. admitted to record.

I think Nathaniel Chapman and Constantia Pearson had a son Pearson Chapman who may have been below witness?

WOOD, JOANNA, Charles Co. 10 Jan. 1772; 20 Nov. 1775
To dau. Elizabeth Stoddert, extx., Negro man Old Charles, old trunk.
To granddau. Susannah Truman Stoddert, tract "The Adventure," 200 acres, Negro man Charles, furniture.
To grandson Thomas James John Stoddert, stock, furniture.
To granddau. Joanna Truman Stoddert, stock, furniture.
Wit: Pearson Chapman; Robert Gordon; Peter Dent. 40. 486

This thread: