MDGEN-L Archives

Archiver > MDGEN > 2003-05 > 1053197090

From: Kathi Jones-Hudson <>
Subject: [MDGEN] Birth/Vital Records
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 11:44:56 -0700 (PDT)

Verna,

Birth records for Baltimore City from 1875 to 1975 are
at the Maryland State Archives in Annapolis. However,
they are no longer doing look-up's and you will either
have to go there in person or have someone do that for
you.
http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/refserv/html/birthhis.html

Vital records are usually not held at historical
societies or libraries, extracts of those records if
published may be there but not the actual records.

I think finding birth records for that particular time
frame is difficult for everyone. Laws had been passed
but had not yet been compiled with overall and many
churches had by then stopped keeping detailed birth
records. I've found it difficult to find bc's for
folks in that generation.

=====
Kathi Jones-Hudson
MD Tombstone Transcription Project Manager
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/maryland.html