MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2000-07 > 0964445660

From: Linda Reno <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY-L] Mark Thomas
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:34:20 -0400

According to my files:

Winifred Abell was the daughter of Samuel Abell and Winifred Raley (dau. of John
Raley who d. 1709 in St. Mary's Co.). She married Mark Thomas, but I don't have
parents for him. She also married Luke Thomas, son of Robert Thomas, Jr. Here's
what I have:

Robert Thomas, b. bef 1635 and d. 1686 at Poplar Hill, St. Mary's Co. His wife's
name was Abagail who survived him and married second, Henry Lewis. Children of
Robert Thomas and Abagail:

1. Henry, b. bef 1659

2. Robert, Jr. b. bef 1668 and d. 1721. Robert was married to ____and had Luke
Thomas who m. Winifred Abell. Luke wasn't the son of Mary, Robert Thomas Jr.'s
second wife--he was born too early. Mary had been married first to John Little
by 1687 (he d. 12/22/1695) and then she m. Robert Thomas, Jr. 1695-1695. After
the death of Robert Thomas, Jr., she then married John Millman by
1/21/1720-1721. John Millman d. 1739.

Robert Thomas, Jr. and Mary had:

a. Mary, b. bef 1705 and d. about 1754 who m. _____Cooke by the time of her
father's will in 1720.

b. James, b. bef 1720 and d. 1761 who m. Elizabeth _____. His will dated
1/1/1761. Named in father's will.

c. Henry, b. bef 1720. No further record after having been named in his
father's will.

Incidentally, I think, but can't prove that Mary may have been the sister of John
Fadery.

3. Honnorfadare (dau.), b. bef 1684.

4. Herbert, b. bef 1684 and d. bef 7/15/1741 who m. Ruth Fossee.

5. Hannah, b. bef 1684.

6. Joanna, b. bef 1684; living in 1695. Called Joanna in the admin. accts., but
I believe this is an error--she's either Hannah or Honnorfadare.

>From my notes re: the entry by Sister Donnelly: "She states that he was the son
of Thomas Thomas and says that Thomas Dynard (Diniard) in his will left estate to
Henry Thomas, son of Robert Thomas and grandson of Thomas Thomas. That's not
what the will said. I would be more inclined to believe that Robert Thomas and
Thomas Thomas were brothers".

The will of Thomas Diniard dated 11/1/1659 devised to Henry Thomas, son of Robert
Thomas. He then devised to Thomas Thomas' two children.

The will of Robert Thomas dated 2/18/1684 named wife Abagail; daughter,
Honnorfadare; son Robert at age 21; son, Herbert, a minor; and daughter Hannah, a
minor. Son Henry not named and was probably deceased.

Linda Reno

Avis wrote:

> Posted on: St. Marys County Md Query Forum
> Board URL: http://genconnect.rootsweb.com/genbbs.cgi/USA/Md/StMarys?read=1692
>
> Surname:
> -------------------------
>
> I have the book, "St. Mary's County, Maryland Colonial Period Tenants and
> Owners of Beaverdam Manor and Surrounding Manors" by Mary Louise Donnelly.
> There are some information about some of Thomas clan. Here are your line
> and hope it helps you some.
>
> Winifred Abell was born in St. Mary's County, the daughter of Samuel Abell
> and Winifred Raley or Hall. She married Mark Thomas, the son of Luke Thomas
> and Winifred Mellman. Mark Thomas possessed 36 acres of "Mark's Adventure"
> next to Herbert Thomas' land called "Spring Branch." Mark Thomas received
> the patent for his land on June 5, 1742. Mark Thomas was deceased by November
> 26, 1746 when Winifred Thomas administered his estate, valved at 100.06.02.
> Their children are: Winifred Thomas, b. 1736; Mark Thomas m Elizabeth Abell;
> Abell Thomas.
>
> Mark Thomas was born in St. Mary's Co., MD, the son of Winifred Abell and
> Mark Thomas. He married Elizabeth Abell, the daughter of Samuel Abell and
> Susanna Spalding. His uncles, Samuel Abell, Jr and John Abell were named
> next of kin of Mark Thomas on his inventory on November 25, 1773. After
> the death of Mark Thomas, Elizabeth married secondly Thomas Fenwick and
> had Fenwick children. The children of Mark Thomas and Elizabeth Abell are:
> Samuel Thomas, b. April 10, 1769; d. prior to 1795; John Thomas, b. Dec.
> 25, 1770; Bennett Thomas, b. Aug. 4, 1772 m Janet Ann Abell.
>
> Bennett Thomas was born August 4, 1772 in St. Mary's Co., MD. He married
> Janet Ann Abell, the daughter of Robert Abell and Margaret Mills. From
> family records there were two known sons: Samuel Bennett Thomas and Robert
> Spalding Thomas.
>
> There is no information on Luke Thomas and his wife, Winifred Mellman.
> No info on the birth dates of Mark and others.

This thread: