MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2000-08 > 0966280919

Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY-L] SIMMS / SISSON
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:21:59 EDT

Have been watching the discussion of the wives of Simms/Sissons, Anthony of
Marmaduke Semmes as he is my ancestor also.

Newman in his book MD SEMMES AND KINDRED FAMILIES p 4 has the following:
"He (Anthony) married Ann Sessions who may not have been his first wife. On
dec 11, 1706, her mother Alice Sissons who declared herself to be the relict
of Edward Sissons of St. Mary' Sco. negotiated her will and bequeathed her
daughter Anne Simes (sic) one hive of bees. Alice Sisson, SR. had also been
the widow of William Henahill who died in 1667. At the Sept Court for 1707
Anthony Simms and Ann his wife filed their accounts as the administrators of
the estate of Nicholas Brown. Sometime after Sept 1707 and before Aug 1708,
he had married Dussabella (Barker) who survived him. If there were any issue
by his last wife, it had to be the youngest child, Jane, as an instrument of
1738 states that Mary was the sister of whole blood to Marmaduke, Alexius,
Fidelmus and Bathia.

children of Anthony Semmes
l. Marmaduke b 1694 married Mary...
2. Anthony m Sarah Maddox
3. Electius m Virlinda...... (my line)
4. Fidelmus Semmes married Elizabeth
5. Bathia m John Higton
6. Mary Semmes died spinster.
7. Jane.

end of Newman

MD CALENDER OF WILLS, vol III, p 4
"Semms, Anthony , Chas Co. 15h Aug 1708 12 Jan 1708
To sons Anthony and Marmaduke 200 a.. "Sems Settlement"
Marmaduke to have dwelling plantation
To Children: Elictus, Fidelimus, Mary and Bathia, 400 A "Semms Forest" in

CECIL Co.
To Dau Jane personality
To wife Duseabell, Extx, residue of personal estate for maintance of 4
children first
named.
In event of death of wife before she marries, her share of estate to pass to
brother James Lemmes (Semmes) he to provide for sd. children. and to have
charge of Anthony, Electius, Fidelimus and Bathia: Barnaby Anetill to have
charge of Marmaduke, Mary and Jane during minority.
Test: John Hidgon, John Lemmes, Susannah Buckney 12. 326"

If as Newman seems to think Anthony m Duseabella between Sept 1707 and Aug
1708 then he could have been married to both Ann Sissons and Duseballa
BArker however Jane would be a brand new infant at the time of his will??
Boy, quick death for Ann and a new marriage to Drussella.... and new baby
(Jane) by Aug 1708. Fast work!
Or... some of these children of the lst marriage or........

Unfortunately Newman did not give or name the "instrument of 1738" that
supposedly stated "Mary was the sister of whole blood to Marmaduke, Alexius,
Fidelmus and Bathia."

I don't have access to much else as far as documentation.
mary Ann

previous emials pertaining to this discussion:

Linda Reno wrote:
"Sorry, but I disagree. I can buy that Anthony Simms may have been married
before Dusabella and that's why he left his children from the first wife in
the
care of Barnaby Anctill (who, incidentally was from St. Mary's Co.).

If he was married to Dusabella and to Ann Sissons, he was a bigamist. Ann
Sissons was living at the time of her mother's will in 1706 and was called Ann
Simms. Dusabella was living as late as 1711 when she was named as a legatee
in
the administration accounts of Maj. William Boarman.

I don't know where I got the surname Barker for Dusabella, however, I think I
might know where it originated. One Ducebella Barker witnessed the will of
William Jones in Cecil Co., MD 10/22/1698. You must agree she had a very,
very
unusual name. If she is one in the same, she didn't marry Anthony Simms until
after 1698 which means she would not be the mother of Marmaduke if he was 16
in
1705.

Linda Reno

This thread: