MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2001-05 > 0989525364

From: "Elizabeth F. Randolph" <>
Subject: [MDSTMARY-L] Margaret, possibly daughter of Robert FORD, the immigrant
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:09:24 -0700

05. Possibly Margaret FORD. Margaret married 1) Michael ROCHFORD, married 2) William Maria COLE, son of Robert and Rebecca COLE by 20 July 1680; married 3) Richard VOWLES by 9 August 1685.

COMMENT: In a quick search of the Probate records, I didn't find any indication that Margaret was a FORD. That doesn't mean the records are not there, just that I didn't find them. According to Mary Louise DONNELLY in "Colonial Settlers St. Clement's Bay, 1634-1780, St. Mary's County, Maryland," Margaret's son, John COLE, and Robert FORD II jointly had a tract of land, "Revells Backside," resurveyed on 28 November 1725. I am not sure if this is sufficient proof to identify Margaret as one of Robert FORD'S children but she certainly could have been.

Margaret married 1) Michael ROCHFORD and he was dead by 1678. He made a Will 13 August 1678, probated 30 August 1678 in St. Mary's Co., MD. and mentioned possibility of an unborn child. Margaret married 2) William Maria COLE, son of Robert COLE and Rebecca, surname unknown. In Accounting for Michael ROCHFORD'S estate on 20 July 1680, executrix was shown as Margret COLE, wife of William COLE. William COLE died by 25 March 1683 and Margaret then married Richard VOWLES. On Accounting for William COLE'S estate on 9 August 1686, administratrix was shown as Margarett VOWLES (relict), wife of Richard VOWLES.

Child of Margaret and Michael ROCHFORD:

05.01. Michael ROCHFORD, Jr., born around 1678 in St. Mary's County, Maryland; Will dated 1 November 1705, probated 13 November 1705. (Left his estate to his brother John COLE.)

Child of Margaret and William Maria COLE:

05.02. John COLE, born around 1681

Margaret had children by her third marriage to Richard VOWLES but since I have no records on this family, will leave it up to others to post.

This completes my FORD records.

Elizabeth Randolph

This thread: