MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2001-05 > 0990037070

From: "SMoller" <>
Subject: [MDSTMARY-L] SUSANNA MACKALL CLARKE AND ? SMOOT OF CHARLES CO., MD
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:17:50 -0700

Hello List,
Linda Reno says;
>1. Susanna Mackall Clarke, b. bef 1725 and d. 1781. She m. first,
Barton Smoot,
>Jr. and second, John Somerville.

I found the following info in the BOOK, CHARLES CO.,MD MY COLONIAL
RELATIONS PLUS OTHERS, BY DONNELLY p 271
and I wanted to put the information out for the list.

HENRY SMOOT (80) was born in Charles Co., MD, the son of Barton Smoot
(41) and Sarah Truman. He was named nephew in the will of James
Truman of Prince George's Co., 1744 and his wife Susanna was called
niece. He married first SUSANNA MACKALL CLARKE, the daughter of
GEORGE MACKALL CLARKE. SUSANNA MACKALL SMOOT received "Clarke's
Range" from the will of her father, written in 1751. Susanna and her
daughter Elizabeth Smoot received a legacy in the will of Susanna's
brother John Attaway Clarke in 1756. Susanna died shortly thereafter.
"Clarke's Range" became the property of Barton Smoot, the brother of
Henry. Henry Smoot married secondly Jane ____.

HENRY SMOOT wrote his will on 10/8/1759 and it was probated in Charles
Co., on 11/28/1759 (Will 30:751). If his wife had a child his slaves
were to go to the child, otherwise they were to be divided among his
wife, brothers Barton and Thomas and his sister Eleanor Smoot. His
wife Jane (or Jean) administered the estate of Henry Smoot on 12/20
1760, valued at £444.07.03. the next of kin on his inventory were
George Clark Smoot and Francis Smoot (Inv 76:283).

80) Children of HENRY SMOOT and SUSANNA MACKALL CLARKE
117) ELIZABETH SMOOT

NOTE:
I think it is interesting that we have Susanna Mackall Clarke married
to Barton Smoot, and Mary Louise Donnelly states it is Henry Smoot. I
hope I'm not adding confusion.
Looking forward to working it out.
Shirley Middleton Moller

This thread: