MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2001-12 > 1009457990

From: Linda Reno <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY-L] Greenwell family
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:59:50 -0500

Thanks for your note, Norma.

Yes, Mary Greenwell married first, John Manning by 1737.

Will of John Manning, SMC probated 7/3/1750. Son: James, my dwelling
plantation. Son: John, "Mark's Delight" and "Fortune". Son: Joseph, 8000 lbs.
tobacco. Daughter: Ann, a negro woman Nan. Daughter: Susanna, a negro girl
Agnes. Son: James, tract on the hill "Taunton Dean". Wife: Mary, Exec. Wit:
Ignatius Greenwell, Clement Medley, Mark Jarboe.

His admin. accts. 8/25/1750 and 10/9/1750; appraisers were James Pike and Peter
Ford, Jr., next of kin was Cornelius Manning and John Cole; Adm., Mary Manning
(Skinner).

9/9/1751: Admin. accts. of John Manning, SMC. Sureties: John Cole, Ignatius
Greenwell. Distribution to: widow, 1/3. Residue to (orphans): Owen (aged 14);
James (aged 10); John (aged 8); Susanna (aged 5); Joseph (aged 2); Mark (aged 8
months).

9/9/1751--Mary Manning, Exec. of John. Sureties: John Cole and Ignatius
Greenwell; 1/3 to widow; Son: Joseph, Dau.: Ann, Dau.: Susanna; rest divided
equally to all children re: will (Balance Books, Moxey).

I'm not sure how John Hammond is connected.

John Manning (husband of Mary Greenwell) was the son of John Manning and Mary
Tant. Mary Tant was the daughter of John Tant and Margaret Bloomfield who also
had a daughter, Elizabeth Tant. Elizabeth Tant married Robert Cole prior to
1704 and they were the parents of John Cole.

Linda Reno

Norma Thompson wrote:

> Hi, Linda,
>
> This same Mary Greenwell married John Manning, did she not? I placed her
> there because:
> 1) her brother, Joshua Greenwell mentions his nephew James Manning in his
> will.
> 2) John Manning and Cornelius Manning were sureties for the admin of her
> father's estate.
> 3) various other mentions of Manning or Greenwell in connections with these
> two families.
>
> Two other people are mentioned quite often with these families, John Cole
> and John Hammond--John Cole as next of kin for John Manning. Do you know how
> they were related? I have tentatively placed them, but where I have them
> isn't working very well.
>
> Thank you for all of the help you give me and everyone else!
>
> Bye,
> Norma

This thread: