MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2002-11 > 1037969137

From: "Linda Reno" <>
Subject: RE: [MDSTMARY-L] Hopewell will 1777
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:45:37 -0500

Hi,

The Hugh Hopewell who died in 1777 was the 4th Hugh. At least that's what I
have right now. You and I agree on Hugh, Sr. and then Hugh, Jr. but there's
a missing generation. I have that there was Hugh III, son of Hugh Jr.
Here's my notes on him:

Will of Hugh Hopewell 3/3/1693-5/24/1694, Calvert Co. Wife: Elizabeth
(Exec.) plantation during minority of son. Son: Hugh, 1/2 of real estate at
the age of 21 and entire estate at death of mother. Daughters: Elizabeth
and Susanna, personal estate and estate afsd. should their brother die
without issue. Wit: Nicholas Sewall, Nicholas Richardson, Katherine Lewis.

Will of grandfather, Francis Hill in 1696.

Will of Edward Hall, SMC, 10/13/1718-11/5/1718. To: Abraham (son of Thomas
Hall), 1/2 real estate. To: James (son of John Hall), the other 1/2 real
estate. Land not paid for so the fathers of sd. children to pay remaining
part due mother _____. To: William and Mary (son and dau. of Thomas
King); sister, Mary; brother Thomas; John Hall; Thomas King; Thomas Hall;
Susan, wife of Charles King (Exec.); Ann (dau. of Charles King); Hugh
Hopewell; and James Baker, personalty. Wit: John King, Elizabeth Fisher,
Elizabeth King, Hugh Hopewell.

Hugh Hopewell, grandson of Robert Thompson, was the son of Richard Hopewell,
Jr. who died by 12/1804. Robert Thompson named his grandson, Hugh Hopewell
in his will.

6/1802: Hugh Hopewell, with the consent of his father Richard--who is
present at Court, bound to Robert Thompson Nottingham for 3 years and 10
months to learn the trade of house carpenter and joiner (Orphan Ct. Rec.,
Fenwick).

12/1804: James Thompson stated he was a creditor of Richard Hopewell and
had no way of getting satisfaction other than by admin. of his estate; he
was granted letters of admin. (Orphan Ct. Rec., Fenwick).

As for the wife of Hugh Hopewell (d. 1777), Donnelly says her surname was
Biscoe. "Maryland Heraldic Families" says her name was Elizabeth Hebb and I
don't know which, if either, is correct.

Linda Reno