Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2003-08 > 1060388015

From: "David Roberts" <>
Subject: [MDSTMARY-L] Traveling by Wagon train
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:13:35 -0400

An EXCELLENT source is "The Plains Across: The Overland Emigrants and the
Trans-Mississippi West, 1840-1860" by John D. Unruh, Jr. University of
Illinois Press, 1979. I read this years ago. I think 15-25 miles a day might
be on the high side. 10-15 might be closer, if the conditions were "good"
... open prairie. 5-10 miles or less for crossing rivers, rough terrain,
etc. In a wagon train, the train moved as fast as the slowest wagon.
I just flipped thru' the index and found a chart:
to California [1841-1848] 157.7 days average travel time from the Missouri
River [Kansas City, Westport, Independence]; to Oregon for the same time
169.1 days. Maybe, that's 10 miles a day [or slightly less].... say +/-
1,500 miles from Missouri to the West Coast. Certainly from Missouri to the
South Pass [in Wyoming] they could make better time than they could in the
deserts and mountains further to the West.
Guess there were MANY factors to figure in to get an "average" trip.