MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2004-12 > 1104439923

From: "Linda Reno" <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY-L] Cezar's Line
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:52:03 -0500

Thanks Tom, I had collected the census data, but didn't have the tidbit
about the hospital in SC. I'm sure this is the same guy. Found this last
night:

Civil War Service Records (Ancestry.com):

Name: Thomas Mattingly
Unit: 1 Battalion Alabama Artillery
Rank - Induction: Captain
Rank - Discharge: Captain
Allegiance: Confederate

Lauderdale County page at Genweb:

Kate W. Mattingly died in Washington, D.C., February 14, 1912, per newspaper
dated February 23, 1912. (Obituaries in the Florence Times,
7/4/1890-12/31/1930).

The Florence Times, Friday, January 15, 1904, p. 1. General R. E. Lee's
Birthday Anniversary. Jan. 19, 1904.

On Tuesday afternoon, January 19th, at 2:30 o'clock at the residence of Mrs.
M. W. Camper, the Florence Chapter U. D. C. will commemorate the birthday of
Gen. R. E. Lee, and upon this occasion bestow crosses of honor upon veterans
and descendants of veterans.

The Florence Chapter extends a cordial invitation to members of Camp O'Neal
to be present, and to the following persons upon whom crosses will be
bestowed.

Veterans--Geo. W. Kelley; A. T. Littleton; John H. Lester; M. McGehee; D.
J. Pettipool; A. H. Powers; J. A. Spires; P. K. Wright; Thomas Warren and
descendants of following veterans: W. W. Bayless; A. D. Coffee; J. C.
Madding; J. A. Madding; R. F. Madding; R. C. Madding;
Dr. Thomas Mattingly; E. A. O'Neal Jr.; Gen. E. A. O'Neal; John L.
Pleasants; J. H. Kirkman; M. J. Warren; John B. Weakley.

His children were still living with his sister Lucinda Elizabeth "Lucy" in
1880:

1880, Washington, D.C.:

Lucy E. MATTINGLEY Self S Female W 57 DC Keeping House
MD MD
Kate W. MATTINGLEY Niece S Female W 27 AL At Home
DC VA
Annie MATTINGLEY Niece S Female W 24 AL At Home DC
AL
Virginia MATTINGLEY Niece S Female W 22 AL At Home
DC AL

1900, Washington, D.C.:

Kate W. Mattingly, b. July 1859, age 40, b. Alabama, her father b.
Washington, D.C and her mother b. VA; Annie Mattingly, sister, born January
1864, age 36, b. Alabama, her father born Washington, D.C. and her mother b.
Alabama; Jennie L. Mattingly, sister, born December 1865, age 34, b.
Alabama, her father born Washington, D.C. and her mother b. Alabama.
(Notice different birthplaces of mothers).

1910, Washington, D.C.: Annie Mattingly, 48, AL/D.C./AL; Kate W. Mattingly,
55, sister, AL/DC/VA; Virginia L. Mattingly, 39, sister, AL/DC/AL.

1920, Washington, D.C.: Annie Mattingly, 58, AL/ D.C./AL; Virginia
Mattingly, 54, sister, AL/D.C./AL

1930, Washington, D.C.: George R. Reppette, 79, widower, DC/Italy/Germany;
Miss Annie Mattingly, sister-in-law, 77, single, AL/DC/AL.

Never could find any further information on Sydney Ann or Thomas Harrison,
but did find a couple of interesting newspaper items:

11/8/1925: G. R. Repetti, 75, Marries in Baltimore. George R. Repetti, 75
years old, and Miss Virginia Mattingly, 69 years old, were married in the
Cathedral in Baltimore Monday by the Rev. Eugene J. Connolly, it was
announced yesterday. They did not elope, however, Mr. Repetti insisted.
Their marriage had been planned for "some time, with an acquaintance of 50
years behind it," he said. Mr. Repetti is president of the National Capital
Insurance Co., treasurer of the Eastern Building and Loan Association and is
one of the most widely known men in the southeast section of the city. He
had been a widower for almost six years. (Washington Post, November 9,
1925).

3/24/1936: Annie Mattingly. On Monday, March 23, 1936, Annie Mattingly,
sister of the late Kate and Virginia L. Mattingly. Funeral from her late
residence, 1365 Harvard st., nw., on Thursday, March 26, 1936 at 8:30 a.m.
Mass at Sacred Heart Church, 16th and Park rd., nw., at 9 a.m. Interment
Rock Creek Cemetery. (Washington Post, March 24, 1936).

Like Tom, I have not found the first wife.

Linda Reno