MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2005-04 > 1113010469

From: "Mary A. Shoemaker" <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY-L] Marmaduke Semmes-Fortuna Mitford
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:37:24 -0400

Linda,
Bless you for the info on Marmaduke and Fortuna Watson etc. I
appreciate knowing your thoughts on such. I have used the info that
Newman put in his book.. MARYLAND SEMMES AND KINDRED FAMILIES for my
line of Semmes/Simms, hoping the direct ancestor lines were correct.
The name ends up being Sims by the time my grandfather was born. He
stated he were not related to the Simms of Washington Co. KY.(he lived
in Larue Co.) Not in his time frame but.. connect of course earlier in
MD.

I have a copy of a letter written by Harry Wright Newman to Dr. Mudd
(of the Mudd books) who so kindly sent me a copy when I was having
difficulty connecting my Simms/Sims to the MD Simms/Semmes etc.. Newman
had made a trip to Louisville , Washington and Nelson Cos. when he was
contracted by the MD Historical Soc. (I think it was) to redo and
update the book THE SEMMES AND ALLIED FAMILIES (1918) by Raphael
Thomas Semmes. In this letter he stated he had made the connection of
the Simms lines in KY to the families in MD but.. as he "was not being
paid for this research he would leave that difficult task to the next
generation"..
Newman however did give info on the John Simms who is found in what
became Washington Co.

I made my connection but.. I sure would love to know who the Simms were
that are found in the early tax list. If anyone has a Simms brick wall
maybe the following names are of some interest? These are the names I
could not place in my line of Simms or the Simms of Washington Co. KY.
Nelson Co.
Ignatius Simms1799
(this may be my Ignatius who is in Nelson by 1816 or so but.. my
Ignatius was underage at the writing of his Mother's will in 1804.
William Simms
his brother is also found in Nelson Co. in 1799)(.. if it was
my Ignatius he returned to Montg Co. MD to marry in 1812)
Washington Co.
Anthony Simms 1797, 1799
Rodey/Rhody 1796, 1799
Marmaduke 1800
Randolph 1800 ( same as Rhody etc.. I would think)
Mary Ann Shoemaker.

Mary Ann Shoemaker

This thread: