MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2007-05 > 1178291581

From: "Jerry L. Clark" <>
Subject: [MDSTMARY] Washington County, Maryland marriages
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:13:01 -0700

John,

I do not have an ancestry.com subscription.

Since he immigrated to Washington County, Maryland in 1811 and 1st child was
born abt 1816 a marriage probably took place sometime in between.

Perhaps if someone has Ancestry.com they could Please look it up for me.
Thanks in advance.

Concerning Early Washington County, Maryland marriages

There isn't a link that I'm aware of unless you have an Ancestry
subscription. Here's the intro to Morrow and Morrow's index:

"Washington County, Maryland was formed in 1776; however, the earliest
marriage indexes begin in 1799. The indexes and marriage records from 1776
to 1798 and the marriage records to the 1870's were destroyed by several
courthouse fires." In other words, what we have is a marriage license index
which tells you the date people took out the license which is not
necessarily the date they got married. But it sure is better than nothing.

So it is not a matter of finding another index other than the one that is
published - I don't think there are any others. You then need to start
looking in church records and surrounding counties/states. The area around
Hagerstown is called tri-state - so it's always a good idea to look in
surrounding PA and WV counties. If you know where the bride is from - look
there. It's a tradition for brides to be married from their home or home
church. If you think the marriage is before 1776 then look in the Frederick
co. marriage indexes.

There are no Gunning entries in the brides or grooms parts of the marriage
index or in the will and estate index which covers 1776-1890.

Lauren Brantner