MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2009-02 > 1233520700

From: "Jerry L. Clark" <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] Elizabeth Jarboe
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:38:20 -0800

Don,

Elizabeth JARBOE was the daughter of John Jarboe and Sarah JOY.

She married 3 times 1st to George MEDCALF, 2nd to Samuel DAVIS, and third to
James GOUGH.

Here is a letter from Linda Reno

Hi Mike,

I've been "round the horn" on this since yesterday and here's where I am at
this point:

I think she was actually Elizabeth Jarboe, dau. of John Jarboe, Jr. (d.
1705). She married first, George Medcalf between 1698 and 1702; second,
Samuel Davis between 1702-1707; and third, James Gough by 1711.

The will of John Jarboe, Jr. named his daughter Elizabeth, but he didn't
give a surname, so it begs the question as to whether she was married or
single.

What got me back on this theory is the will of Henry Jarboe, Elizabeth's
uncle and guardian. If you'll note, Henry named James Gough and Elizabeth
Davis as two of the trustees of his estate during the minority of his
children. In my opinion, this is Elizabeth (Jarboe) Medcalf/Davis. I
wouldn't doubt that Elizabeth wasn't already a widow at this point and it
wasn't long after this will that she married James Gough.

Will of Henry Jarboe, SMC, 3/18/1708-4/18/1709. Eldest son: Henry,
dwelling plantation, 100 ac. Son: Peter, 100 ac. where Thomas Lowe,
shoemaker, lives. Son: Charles, 100 ac. Son: Ignatius, 100 ac.
Daughter: Mary, 50 ac. Daughter: Monica, 50 ac. All children, afsd.,
personalty. Should daughters die without issue, their estate to revert to
Charles and Ignatius. Trustees during minority of children: Brother, Peter
Joy; John Niles (should be Miles); James Gough; and Elizabeth Davis. Wit.:
John Raley, Daniel Langhorn, Edward Howell, Mary Langhorn.

I can't find any administration accounts for Samuel Davis anywhere. For a
long time, I thought he might be the son of Thomas Davis and Mary Thomas,
but that doesn't work as that Samuel Davis was living as late as 1719.

Linda Reno
---