MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2009-03 > 1238368152

From: Jackie King <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] Robert Clarke and Ann Jenkins
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:09:12 -0500

Jerry -

I have to admit that I am still pulling records to fully back up these
two marriages but they are listed in Newman's, "The Maryland Semmes and
Kindred Families," p. 13 and 14. Catherine Culver Semmes' Montgomery
county will also alludes to them:

Probated 24 Jan 1805.

"To son Ignatius Simms 42 pounds due him by me his part of his father's
estate for which Robert Clark became my security and as my said son
Ignatius is not year of age and consequently not paid I desire that so
much of my property not hereafter will and bequeathed may be sold as
will pay my said son and to be paid by my executors when he reaches 21
years of age.
To son Elexius Simms $12.00
To daughter Mary Clarke all the money due on William Clarks bond to me
but without recourse to me or my heirs.
To Daughters Henrietta Clarke and Ann Roads personalty.
To sons William Simms, Thomas Simms , Walter Simms, and Ignatius Simms
personality including Negro slaves.
To grandchildren Francis Simms and Anne Simms, personalty to the Rev Mr.
Plunkett and Verlinda Jarboe personalty residue to sons Walter Simms
and Ignatius Simms Executors Won Walter Simms son-in-law Robert Clark".

Ann(e) Simms has been a bit more difficult to trace although Newman also
refers to her as having married a Clarke and a Rhodes. In backtracking
through the early District of Columbia records I have found her
mentioned in reference to the will of Edward Semmes, her uncle. Before
1801 most D.C. records were filed in Montgomery county Maryland and
there you find the death of Thomas Clarke and subsequent advertisements
by his wife Anne as to the fact his estate will not cover his debts.

I believe Shirley Moller was the first one who tipped me to Robert
Clarke and Ann Jenkins. However in following the children of William
Clarke, I find a number of the various Heraldry groups all cite this
marriage. Newman also cites William and Robert as being children of
Robert. I think there may be some debate as to the next generation
ascending from there.

Newman does not even identify Thomas Clarke and there is nothing in the
records I have found thus far to indicate who his parents are. My
inclinations are that he is another brother but probably most certainly
related in some fashion.

Hence my question about the children of Robert Clarke and Ann Jenkins.

Jackie