MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2009-09 > 1254157088

Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] Fwd: George Calvert b. about 1668
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:58:08 +0000 (UTC)

thanks Peter
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Thompson" <>
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:51:45 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern

Dear List , John and Mary,
I want to point out that the pdf that John gives (below) contains
information that is not consistent with the articles which appeared in
the Maryland Historical Society Magazine by John Bailey Calvert Nicklin
and Francis B. Culver . First, it gives the grandfather of the first
Lord George Calvert as follows:
"George1 Calvert was born 1525 in Satron, Yorkshire, England, and
died Unknown. He married Dorothy Leonard. She was born Abt. 1530,
and died Unknown."
Nicklin gives this info as:
"John Calvert, of Kiplin, near Danby Wiske, Yorkshire,temp, Henry
VIII., m. -"
Second, the author of the pdf repeats an alleged error about the
mother of First Lord George, as Alice Grace Crossland. Culver states
that this is wrong, as an easily understood confusion, and that the real
mother is Alica(Alice) Crossland, daughter of John Crossland, rather
than Grace Crossland, daughter of Thomas Crossland and Joanna
Hawksworth. The first version is how Nicklin gave it originally and the
second is the correction given by Culver. I find Culver's correction
pretty convincing.
I haven't checked to see if there are other discrepancy's and will
leave it to others, more expert than me, to comment.
Cheers, Pete

--
Peter T. Thompson, Emeritus Professor of Chemistry
Swarthmore College