MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2010-02 > 1266896035

From: Jerry Clark <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] Nottinghams in St. Mary's County
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:33:55 -0800

Here are more Notes:

Notes:
NOTTINGHAM, ATHANASIUS, St Mary's Co. 11 Jul, 1767; 18 Aug, 1767
That my 3 Negroes, Margett, Nace and Ned, be sold.
To son Philip Nottingham, tract where I live, called "Nivitts St Ann."
That bro. Matthias Nottingham have care of Bennett, Barbary and Elizabeth
Nottingham.
Residue of estate to be divided among my 9 children: Basil, Catherine,
Eleanor, Bennett, Barbary, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Ann and Enoch.
Extx.: wife Mary.
Wit: Zachariah Forrest, Anne Lowe. 36. 187

Athanasions Nottingham 96.172 SM £147.12.5 Jan 8 1768 Apr 30 1768
Appraisers: James Pike, John Wiseman Greenwell.
Creditors: Stephen Gough. Archibald Campbell for John Glassford.
Next of kin: Philip Nottingham, Ann David.
Executors: Clement Medley, Mary Nottingham.

Athanius Nottingham5.396 D SM £72.4.1 Oct 20 1770
Sureties: Zachariah Forrest, George Greenwell.
Legatees: Philip (son).
Distribution to: Widow (unnamed, 1/3).
Residue to 9 children (equally): Basil, Catharine, Eleanor, Bennett,
Barbara, Elisabeth, Mary Ann, Ann, Enoch.
Executors: Mr. Clement Medley (Shorts), Mary Nottingham.

1/8/1768: Admin. accts. of Athanasius Nottingham, SMC. Next of kin: Philip
Nottingham and Ann David (Davis?). Exec: Clement Medley and Mary Nottingham.

4/12/1769: Admin. accts. of Athanasius Nottingham, SMC. Payments to: John
Glassford & Co., John Semple & Co., John Black, Ann Medley, Mary Love, James
Roach. Execs.: Clement Medley, Mary Nottingham. (Admin. accts. of the
Prerogative Court of Maryland, Libers, 59-66, 1768-1771 by V. L. Skinner,
Jr.). NOTE: This record is not on CD #206.

Admin. accts. of Athanasius Nottingham 10/20/1770; sureties were Zachariah
Forrest and George Greenwell; legatee was son, Philip; distribution to:

widow, 1/3 and residue equally to 9 children--Basil, Catherine, Eleanor,
Bennet, Barbara, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Ann, Enoch; Exec., Mr. Clement Medley

(Shorts) and Mary Nottingham (Skinner).

Robert Ford 36.520 A SM £1039.13.9 £33.11.5 Dec 5 1754

Received from: John Ford, Clement Medley, Richard Ford, Richard Shurcliff,
Ignatius Greenwell, John Cole, Henry Winsted, Enoch Combs, John Heard,
Athantius Ford, George Greenwell, Richard Ward Key, James Pike, Ignatius
Jarbo, John Taylor), Athanatius Nottingham, Eleanor Medley, Cornelius
Manning, William Black, Abraham Barnes, William McWilliams, Thomas
Blackhurst, Meverell

(no surname given), Robert Dyall, Henry Howard.

Payments to: Thomas Newton, Basill Peak, John Thompson, Cornelius Manning,
Eleanor Bailey, Benjamin Witham, Richard Gardiner, David Downie, Robert
Chesley, Henry Bryan, William McWilliams, Richard Shurcliff, William Diggs
due Lord Baltimore, Mev. Lock, Ignatius Greenwell, Dr. Michael Hackett,
James

Gough, Ignatius Jarbo.

Executor: John Fenwick.

3. ii. ATHANASIUS NOTTINGHAM, b. 1725, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 1767, St.

Mary's Co., MD.

When Athanasius Nottingham made his will, he named his wife, Mary as his
Executor. No one else. Since Mary Medley had no brothers and her father was
dead, she most likely asked her uncle, Clement Medley to assist her in the
administration of the estate. More proof is that Mary named a son Enoch (her
great-grandfather was Enoch Combs).

1/8/1768: Admin. accts. of Athanasius Nottingham, SMC. Next of kin: Philip
Nottingham and Ann David (Davis?). Exec: Clement Medley and Mary Nottingham.

4/12/1769: Admin. accts. of Athanasius Nottingham, SMC. Payments to: John
Glassford & Co., John Semple & Co., John Black, Ann Medley, Mary Love, James
Roach. Execs.: Clement Medley, Mary Nottingham. (Admin. accts. of the
Prerogative Court of Maryland, Libers, 59-66, 1768-1771 by V. L. Skinner,
Jr.). NOTE: This record is not on CD #206.

Admin. accts. of Athanasius Nottingham 10/20/1770; sureties were Zachariah
Forrest and George Greenwell; legatee was son, Philip; distribution to:

widow, 1/3 and residue equally to 9 children--Basil, Catherine, Eleanor,
Bennet, Barbara, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Ann, Enoch; Exec., Mr. Clement Medley

(Shorts) and Mary Nottingham (Skinner).

Children of ATHANASIUS NOTTINGHAM are:

i. PHILIP4 NOTTINGHAM, b. 1749, Medley's Neck, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Bef.

1799, Washington Co., KY.

ii. JOHN BASIL NOTTINGHAM, b. 1751, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1782; m.

JANE (JOANNA) RALEY, December 31, 1774, St. Fr. Xav. RCC, Compton, St.

Mary's Co., MD; b. Bef. 1740, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 1785, St. Mary's Co.,
MD.

iii. BARBARA NOTTINGHAM, b. 1752, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1803, MO; m.

HENRY SYLVESTER RALEY, Bef. 1777, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 1728, St. Mary's
Co., MD; d. July 03, 1829, MO.

iv. ELEANOR NOTTINGHAM, b. Bef. 1752, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1806,
Nelson Co., KY; m. (1) JOHN BASIL HEARD, Bef. 1767, St. Mary's Co., MD; b.

1729, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Bef. 1783, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. (2) IGNATIUS
WIMSATT, Bet. 1778 - 1799, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. April 1739, St. Mary's
Co., MD; d. 1807, Nelson Co., KY.

v. BENNET NOTTINGHAM, b. 1757, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 1801, Washington Co.,
KY.

vi. CATHERINE NOTTINGHAM, b. Bef. 1767, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1801; m.

ARCHIBALD GREENWELL, Bet. 1789 - 1790, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. Bef. 1767; d.

1798, St. Mary's Co., MD.

vii. ELIZABETH NOTTINGHAM, b. Bef. 1767, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1801,
Washington Co., KY; m. JOHN MEDLEY, Bef. 1799, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 1768,
St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 1814, Washington Co., KY.

I have Athanasius Nottingham as married twice. 1st to unknown, and 2nd to
Mary MEDLEY daughter of William MEDLEY and Eleanor COMBS.

Athanasius Nottingham and Mary Unknown

Their Children:

1. Eleanor married Ignatius Wimsatt (1740-1807) who had been married to Mary
Mills widow of Clement Medley. Ignatius was s/o Richard Wimsatt & Teresa
Ford.

Notes from Linda:

Barbara Nottingham was the daughter of Athanasius Nottingham who d. 1767 in
St.

Mary's Co. and named his daughter Barbara in his will. She was the sister of

Bennet Nottingham.

Abstracts of Wills, 1785-1820, Nelson County, Kentucky, p. 36, Will of

Ignatius Wimsatt, decd. Will Book A, p. 977, wr. 2 Dec. 1806, pr. 11 May
1807.

Wife Eleanor to have all goods and property; after her death to be

divided between children Ann, Ignatius and Pironella; son Felix 3 shillings.

Exr. wife Eleanor. Witn. William T. Shancey, Richard Gardner.

2. Catherine married a Greenwell

3. Barbara married Henry Sylvester Raley d. 1829 s/o John Raley and Mary Joy

4. Bennet - I don't have a wife for him

ST MARY'S COUNTY, MARYLAND WILLS 1791-1802, JJ#2, Abstracted by Linda Davis

Reno, Indexed by Joann Ellis Humphries, p. 157

Bennet Nottingham Liber JJ#2, Folio, 290 8/1801 8/7/1801

of Washington County, Kentucky

All of my estate, both real and personal, is to be sold at public sale.

To Henry Raley, 25 pounds in Maryland currency.

The balance of the money is devised to the heirs of Philip Nottingham

(deceased), to wit. Ignatius Nottingham, Ann Attaway Nottingham, Joseph

Nottingham, Elizabeth Nottingham, Benedict Nottingham and Stephen

Nottingham. If any of them die before they come of age, the others are to

inherit their share. They are to be paid as they come of age.

To: Reverend Mr. Taney (?), five pounds.

To"----------Gough, $6.

To: Catherine Greenwell, Eleanor Wimsatt, Barbara Raley, Elizabeth Medley

and Rebecca Nottingham, the balance of my estate.

The negro boy named Jack is to be sold. I am concerned for his well being

and request that James Gough have the first refusal of him who lives in

Scott County, Kentucky.

Executor(s)" Thomas Cadeen pf St. Mary's County.

Witnesses: Henry Smock, John Taylor, Richard Fenwick Spalding.

NOTE: At a county court held for Washington County, Kentucky on Tuesday,

7th Day of August 1801, the will was proved by the oaths of the above
witnesses.

WASHINGTON CO. WILL BOOK A PAGE 206 PROVED NOV. 02, 1801

5. Phillip - I have nothing on him

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM, <